• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 10 ISO + code

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 ISO + code

I wanted to install W10 in a VirtualBox VM for testing purposes. I have a genuine (really) unused retail boxed copy of Windows 7 Pro, so I could install that and let it go through the whole tedious updates process and eventually I should get Windows 10. But that's dumb when I could just install W10.

I googled and quickly found an ISO, which looked to be genuine and not from some site trying to sell me russian brides. And it works, but asks for a code and won't accept the one from Windows 7 Pro as genuine.

Does anyone know if this is even possible? Should my W7 Pro code work with a W10 install? Or is there something I can do to legitimately get a W10 code out of my W7 code? Surely if they let you upgrade W7->W10 for free, and then you need to rebuild your system for some reason they don't expect you to have to reinstall W7 and go through the upgrade again.

Ta.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I wanted to install W10 in a VirtualBox VM for testing purposes. I have a genuine (really) unused retail boxed copy of Windows 7 Pro, so I could install that and let it go through the whole tedious updates process and eventually I should get Windows 10. But that's dumb when I could just install W10.

I googled and quickly found an ISO, which looked to be genuine and not from some site trying to sell me russian brides. And it works, but asks for a code and won't accept the one from Windows 7 Pro as genuine.

Does anyone know if this is even possible? Should my W7 Pro code work with a W10 install? Or is there something I can do to legitimately get a W10 code out of my W7 code? Surely if they let you upgrade W7->W10 for free, and then you need to rebuild your system for some reason they don't expect you to have to reinstall W7 and go through the upgrade again.

Ta.
    If you're using virtualisation why not just go through the W7 install->Activation->W10 upgrade process once and just take a backup as a template for future virtual machines. You'll spend more time looking for a shortcut than it would take to go through the process anyway.

Comment

Why don't you call Microsoft support and ask if there is a solution to your dilemma/problem?

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
        If you're using virtualisation why not just go through the W7 install->Activation->W10 upgrade process once and just take a backup as a template for future virtual machines. You'll spend more time looking for a shortcut than it would take to go through the process anyway.
        That's still a lot of installing and downloading which will take considerably longer. But it looks like that's what I'm going to have to do.

It's not really a shortcut. I have a valid licence; the ISO contains everything I need for the new OS; I don't need to upgrade anything. I was hoping it would just work. All I can find on the internet is that you need to go through the W7->W10 upgrade to get the code you can use to install from the ISO.

Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

You have a Win7 licence code and its not working on a Win10 installation?

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

You should be able to use your Windows 7 code against an ISO download from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...d/windows10ISO
            DORMANT ACCOUNT

Comment

Working...
            X