• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remote Install

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Install

Might be a dumb question - but I have 2 PC's both with wireless connections - on one PC I cannot install Office but the other I can - so it looks like it may be a duff CD player

I could go and buy a new CD player for the one that doesn't work - but it looks like you can share files between the 2 PC's easily - can you also run the install remotely from the other PC's CD?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

yes

Use simple file sharing to share the CD (in explorer right click the folder & share).

One caveat though with office, every so often it wants to have a look at the original installation media, its normally worthwhile popping a copy on the local machine. OR playing silly beggars with the registry.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

As Vetran says, you're better off copying the source files from the CD to the hard drive and installing from there. If you have problems sharing the folders (which you may well do if they are not on a domain), use the IP address. Eg from the target machine:
      Start Run \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\d$
      (Where xxx etc is the IP address of the target machine, and d is your CD drive) If it asks you for a login & pwd use the local admin account. Copy the contents of the CD to a folder on the target machine, and install from there.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

If you set everything to install or not install (not install on first use) it won't touch the CD.
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Ah I'd forgotten the delights of MS Networking.... setup the sharing of the drive both PCS in same workgroup but getting a "Workgroup Name is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource." when trying to access the workgroup.

Trawled MS support for clues - enabled netbios over TCP , made sure browser service is started....disabled firewall on both machines all pants...may rip out HD from machine & install in t'other
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
          X