• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Android Lollipop - a massive backwardsbackwards performance step

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android Lollipop - a massive backwardsbackwards performance step

*edit* Apologies for the messy title, predictive text is still hung over from the weekend.

I've had a Sony Xperia Z1 since new and was amazed at the performance and speed until I upgraded from Kit Kat to Lollipop.
    Then everything basically died. The phone became unresponsive, basic apps took ages to open (SMS, phone).
    I have a useful CPU monitor running and it would show all cores at maximum speed most of the time (even when the phone was idle)
    I am running the same apps as before and everything's up to date.
    It is that bad that I bought a new phone which on paper is fast but I am finding it sluggish at best (Samsung Galaxy Note 4).

Anyone else experienced performance degradation after upgrading to 5?
    Last edited by zazou; 6 July 2015, 13:44.

Originally posted by zazou View Post
    *edit* Apologies for the messy title, predictive text is still hung over from the weekend.

I've had a Sony Xperia Z1 since new and was amazed at the performance and speed until I upgraded from Kit Kat to Lollipop.
    Then everything basically died. The phone became unresponsive, basic apps took ages to open (SMS, phone).
    I have a useful CPU monitor running and it would show all cores at maximum speed most of the time (even when the phone was idle)
    It is that bad that I bought a new phone which on paper is fast but I am finding it sluggish at best (Samsung Galaxy Note 4).

Got a One Plus:One thats running 5.02 (Cyanogen 12.0) with no issues.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Did you use an official update or 3rd party rom from XDA etc.?

Comment

Works for me on my Moto G. I don't like the colour scheme as much, and I don't really like the notifications on the unlock screen, but no other performance or other issues. My friend with a Nexus 7 tablet said it was a lot slower.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Works for me on my Moto G. I don't like the colour scheme as much, and I don't really like the notifications on the unlock screen, but no other performance or other issues. My friend with a Nexus 7 tablet said it was a lot slower.
          The Moto G had Lollipop 5.1 as opposed to 5.0.1 which has bugs
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

My S5 has a weird bug since upgrading whereas all my messages disappear, they're not deleted instead they're invisible other than that my phone performs faster though I've noticed at times it can operate a lot hotter in terms of temperature.

The Sony Xperia Z3 Compact tab I have hasn't had any noticeable problems though it does have decent hardware in it.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Got a One Plus:One thats running 5.02 (Cyanogen 12.0) with no issues.
              WHS - although I preferred some of the features before the upgrade.

My wife uses a Nexus 4 on 5.0.2 and my spare phone is a Nexus 5 on the same - no issues there either.

Edit - My N5 has 5.1.1 now. Can't remember when I updated that. I suspect the N4 has the same.
              Last edited by TheFaQQer; 6 July 2015, 15:24.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                The Moto G had Lollipop 5.1 as opposed to 5.0.1 which has bugs
                Has 5.0.2.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Has 5.0.2.
                  Mine has 5.1 which was an OTA update
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

Try clearing your Dalvik cache. Shut it down, restart into Recovery, select the option to clear the Cache, then restart it again.

Report back?
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                    X