• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One Plus One

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Plus One

Anyone got one?

They are taking pre-orders at 3pm on Monday in the UK for one hour. No idea when it will ship, no idea if it's worth it.

If anyone's got / seen / used one, what's it like?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

I've got one (thanks Alias) but I don't have a huge amount of experience with Android phones to compare it with.

It's big, fast, cheap, not too sure about the surface on the back, gives it a bit of grip I suppose but still not as nice as the iPhone's metal case. Uses CyanogenMod which is good apparently but I don't know what it does it that stock Android doesn't.

Basically, it's a lot of phone for the money, a real shot across the bows of Samsung, HTC etc.

Comment

Does it work properly? There are a few forum posts about dropped calls which didn't fill me with confidence.

MrsF needed a new phone, so inherited my lovely Nexus 4 which I'd had for two years. Two days into it, dropped it and broke the screen which is expensive to replace and the left hand side doesn't respond to touch any more because of the design. Frustrating because it's a tiny crack at the top of the screen, but the Q,A, caps lock etc. no longer work.

So, we're off into town to look at repairs / replacements, so I'm just considering my options. The pre-order on Monday looks interesting, but there's no news on how long they will take to fulfil the orders.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Does it work properly? There are a few forum posts about dropped calls which didn't fill me with confidence.

MrsF needed a new phone, so inherited my lovely Nexus 4 which I'd had for two years. Two days into it, dropped it and broke the screen which is expensive to replace and the left hand side doesn't respond to touch any more because of the design. Frustrating because it's a tiny crack at the top of the screen, but the Q,A, caps lock etc. no longer work.

So, we're off into town to look at repairs / replacements, so I'm just considering my options. The pre-order on Monday looks interesting, but there's no news on how long they will take to fulfil the orders.
        I replaced the screen on a Nexus 4 for SIL - Under £40 and it took half and hour? She dropped it and it didn't respond at all - took to phone store who told her it was not fixable...if you connect your wife's phone to your PC, does it mount as a drive? If so, then its a cheap fix.

LCD Screen Display Touch Digitizer for LG E960 Google Nexus 4 Frame Replacement | eBay
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Haven't used it enough to comment on call problems. I've made and received a couple of calls on it without issue but that's not particularly helpful. iPhone 6 is my main phone, the OnePlus One is my backup/Android/phablet testing device.

Comment

Its currently my main phone and (surprisingly) I'm happy to leave it that way for the next six months or so (then I'll get an iphone 6plus when the macbook air retina appears).

Coming from an iphone 5s the only surprise is that the security settings (face rather than fingerprint) make it harder to get into the phone and some android apps are not as polished as their ios equivalents...

Not had any problems with phone calls but I don't really use it as a phone (I'm not contract hunting so beyond mrs eek and a couple of friends I never get any calls on it).
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              I replaced the screen on a Nexus 4 for SIL - Under £40 and it took half and hour? She dropped it and it didn't respond at all - took to phone store who told her it was not fixable...if you connect your wife's phone to your PC, does it mount as a drive? If so, then its a cheap fix.

LCD Screen Display Touch Digitizer for LG E960 Google Nexus 4 Frame Replacement | eBay
              I haven't plugged it into the PC, but everything works apart from the bottom left hand side. Strange since the crack is at the top of the screen, but I might give that a go.

I'll see how much a repair in town looks to cost, and then make a decision from there
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I haven't plugged it into the PC, but everything works apart from the bottom left hand side. Strange since the crack is at the top of the screen, but I might give that a go.

I'll see how much a repair in town looks to cost, and then make a decision from there
                I can pretty much guarantee that it is repairable with the option that I sent to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa3r-k5cUB4
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Any reason you can't just get her a Moto G?
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                    Any reason you can't just get her a Moto G?
                    £140 > £40

She's moved onto my older spare phone, which now means that I don't have a reasonable spare phone any more. The Moto G is a possibility / probability if I bugger up the repair. If I go for a OnePlusOne, it will shift my Nexus 5 down to being the best spare available.

Shop in town quoted £105 for a repair, which is getting too close to the cost of a new Moto G for my liking. MrsF must be feeling guilty about it - she said "so, how much does a Nexus 6 cost if you want one?" as we were coming home.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X