• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Introduction

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction

Hi there, my name's Caspian (yes, really), and I've been contracting for about 12 years now. Although for the last two years I've had bugger all work at all and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on why. The CV's at http://www.puppygames.net/cv.doc if anyone wants to rip it apart but looking at mostly every other CV I've ever come across it doesn't seem to be particularly weird or different to any other.

I wonder if it's just having a silly name that's the problem. Or maybe I live in the wrong part of the country (Taunton). Or perhaps I just don't do anything that anyone needs any more?

Anyhow - hi there everyone. Strange I never found this forum before.

Cas
    Puppygames

Your name is really Caspian Prince?

I would shoot your parents if I were you, although they couldn't have known at the time about the films that would be made in recent years.

You will need some devs to comment on the dev side of your CV and I am not one but my first thoughts would be that if you are marketing yourself as a dev for hire then I would present your plan B / hobby stuff as separate to you as an individual and as stuff that you did instead. That includes your email address.

I have worked on projects in the past where one of the contractors spent all day on their plan B, it is really annoying.

The market is tough at the moment in case you hadn't noticed, so you may just have been unlucky.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 8 September 2009, 22:58. Reason: its or it's? When in doubt .....

Comment

Hi Cas,

why not pop into General and introduce yourself there too.

Gonzo made some good points and I'd also de-personalise it a bit. Clients don't really need to know you left somewhere due to a family crisis. Has all work been contracted through yourCo? Fill in at least some of the last year with 'consultancy' of some kind.

Zip
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

The CV reads like a narrative, but like all good CV's its in reverse order. That means you are talking about things the reader doesnt know yet, which I found a bit weird. (Returned to the BBC , eh I didnt even know you 'd been there)
        apart from that and the name, it looks spot on.
        I dont put my real name on my CV anymore after some negative feedback

good Luck Caspian

Ivor Bollockoff

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
        X