• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making a will

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids

Once thing that has troubled me in setting out our will is what to do with the kids (3 under 10) if me and the missus croak it at the same time (e.g. car crash). Do we leave them to someone in the will or should this be handled seperately? What have others done?

Comment

Originally posted by Normie View Post
      Once thing that has troubled me in setting out our will is what to do with the kids (3 under 10) if me and the missus croak it at the same time (e.g. car crash). Do we leave them to someone in the will or should this be handled seperately? What have others done?
      I believe you would assign or name a guardian.

In all seriousness, I think EO has some insight on this.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

We are in the process of setting up some new life assurance. We have decided that if both of us go then the monies go into trust for our kids.
        We have had to pick a sensible, trustworthy trustee. I think you need to do the same with your will and assign a place/person to look after them

Comment

yep, you can use your will as a vehicle to nominate a guardian for the kids. If there is any dispute, it goes to the family court.

I have never been involved in stuff like that, but thats my understanding.

Like Halo, I executed a will recently, it was a real nutty one and cost me a fair few days off work. I charged the estate £2,800

the nearest quote I got for the job was £17500. In my opinion - do it yourself

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            yep, you can use your will as a vehicle to nominate a guardian for the kids. If there is any dispute, it goes to the family court.

I have never been involved in stuff like that, but thats my understanding.

Like Halo, I executed a will recently, it was a real nutty one and cost me a fair few days off work. I charged the estate £2,800

the nearest quote I got for the job was £17500. In my opinion - do it yourself

I was the executor of my father's estate. A trip up to Somerset House and a few forms to fill in. Job done.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              I was the executor of my father's estate. A trip up to Somerset House and a few forms to fill in. Job done.
              jeez

I had to scour about 14 baskets of docs, get dozens of share holdings transferred and sold, make arrangements for 41 benefactors, finalise some insurance policies
              track down stuff from a previous marriage in a name I had never even heard of before

and everything.
              everything was covered in a thick greasy film of nicotine from 60 years of heavy smoking

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by Lightship
                While you're all at it, don't underestimate the importance of a living will either.
                if the hospital notes say GFP

you can relax in the knowledge that you are good for parts

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

Money into trust, guardians appointed for the kids. When we were in that situation, we did use a solicitor. Now my eldest is an adult, he'll be the guardian of his siblings, and we don't need to trust solution any more.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Dying intestate just adds to the distress of those left behind. Making a will isn't difficult. Just get on with it.
                    Dying intestate is not just about distress to those left behind.

If you are single without dependants and your parents are still alive, your money goes up to them, then eventually back down to your siblings, minus imheritance tax.

In my case, premature death could have meant that my brass ended up in the much hated family of the woman who my father married with indecent haste after the death of my mother.

Making a will is a no brainer.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X