• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reputation and Post Counts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Like that wonderful and very useful tag cloud?
    Indeed. It's a shame there doesn't seem to be an option to exclude tags on General from the tag cloud. The majority of visitors to this site aren't registered users and are trying to find useful information. A lot of registered users also seldom participate in the handbagging of General.

By rights the tag cloud should be full of useful tags like "ir35", "hmrc", "corporation tax" and so on. Then it would be useful to more than just the six or seven trolls who delight in insulting everybody.

Maybe I should create an alternative tag cloud plugin: certain users (they know who they are) can feel validated by seeing their oh-so-clever insult tags, while everybody else gets shown useful information instead

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Maybe I should create an alternative tag cloud plugin: certain users (they know who they are) can feel validated by seeing their oh-so-clever insult tags, while everybody else gets shown useful information instead
      <Picard>
      Make it so!
      </Picard>

Comment

Some people have to remember this is a discussion forum, there is a CMS system at the front of this site where resources can be placed. Links to pertinent threads can be edited into these sections. There are one or two people that have failed to grasp that and are trying to shape the forums into an area that it never has been or never will become.

Onto this stupid idea of a reputation. There will be about 5 people that be interested in the tools genuine reason for existing. IF the system allows negative reputation to be assigned then a bunch of us, who could not really give a toss, will be hit with negative scores and then it will become a contest between us, and I know I will be of that group, who will proactively go about winning the lowest score contest.

On the other hand the mob that are so socially useless that actually want to form meaningful real world relationships with each other because they are unable to in the real world will be buming each other up with reputation points for disagreeing with the negative scorers.

That is the way it will work and if you think any different then you should see a doctor.

Bad idea, forget it.

Comment

Seems to me to be simply a mechanism for elevating the post count of the weedy pigeons that frequent the Therapy session that is TPD. What is the point in that?
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            The reputation system will mean that everybody can tell straight away how thoroughly disliked I am. As I am incapable of behaving in a manner that would result in my gaining a positive reputation, I will become increasingly unpleasant out of spite until I'm finally banned.
            FTFY.

Comment

Indeed. It's a shame there doesn't seem to be an option to exclude tags on General from the tag cloud. The majority of visitors to this site aren't registered users and are trying to find useful information. A lot of registered users also seldom participate in the handbagging of General.

By rights the tag cloud should be full of useful tags like "ir35", "hmrc", "corporation tax" and so on. Then it would be useful to more than just the six or seven trolls who delight in insulting everybody.

The tag cloud and the reputation votes could be limited to the professional part of the forum.
              The smaller post counts there would make them both easier to manage and leave general free to be general
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                The tag cloud and the reputation votes could be limited to the professional part of the forum.
                The smaller post counts there would make them both easier to manage and leave general free to be general
                Unfortunately there isn't an option (or not one I can find in what passes for a user interface on the forum configuration application) to limit tagging to certain areas.

Comment

Christ! Yet more bleating from you Nick about how the board isn't run the way you want!

Oh what a shame that the tag cloud doesn't have what I wanted in it. What a shame the board isn't more professional like me ! Oh what a shame that I feel some may misuse the recommendation process. Oh the board is full of trolls who spoil it.

Could you bleat more about how it isn't the type of forum you want any more????!!

We've already told you what you can do. Create your own site in your image where you are judge and jury. I'm sure all will flock to hear your words of wisdom!
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Look at me! I've been here for ages you know! That makes me really special!
                    FTFY.

Comment

FTFY.
                      Fine, you have proven my analysis of this stupid system is correct. I have also proven people will court the negative vote.

You seem to have got the ear of admin and somehow this forum is shaping up to be how you want it to run. That is a mistake.

But I have warned admin through my post.

When you get a flurry of "can someone mark this loser down as I have already" posts/threads and a flurry of "do your worst and while I am at it who else can I piss off" replies I will laugh.

As I said, get it done then, provide another battle ground. That's what we like.

Comment

Working...
                      X