• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expats

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tay View Post
    I did it for the money.
    You were paid to leave!!
    I knew you were unpopular...... was it a CUK whip-round?

Comment

Born in UK, emigrated to NZ, then back to the UK, now in oz, back to UK next year.

I raise the average IQ if whichever country I happen to be in.

The reason few brits excel in oz is because once they get here they discover the sun, beach, BBQ, and laid-back aussie lifestyle and actually chill out.

The UK is handy for earning sterling which buys a lot back here, and for the easy access to europe for travel and holidays, but as for living there full-time, you gotta be kidding surely?

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
        The reason few brits excel in oz is because once they get here they discover the sun, beach, BBQ, and laid-back aussie lifestyle and actually chill out.
        Some might say that they have excelled in those circumstances ...
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          Well does it?

Does Australia have a hatful of British migrants (current generation) who have made a name for themselves in the way that Aussie migrants have done in the UK?

None of those people you are thinking of emigrated to the UK. The just moved to London.
          The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

I raise the average IQ if whichever country I happen to be in.
            To quote Robert Muldoon correctly* it is more the case that you raise the average IQ of every country that you leave.

*Granted he was not the first to use the quote but was the most relevant to the Aus/NZ migration question.
            The UK is handy for earning sterling which buys a lot back here, and for the easy access to europe for travel and holidays, but as for living there full-time, you gotta be kidding surely?
            Have you seen the exchange rate recently.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Does Australia have a hatful of British migrants (current generation) who have made a name for themselves in the way that Aussie migrants have done in the UK?
              One does not go to Australia to make one's name. You "make a name for yourselves" before you go, then the courts ship you there. At least that is how it used to work.
              And nothing wrong with that either.

HTH
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

My great great grandpa emmigrated to Oz - made a name for himself alright...
                http://www.nedkellysworld.com.au/bus...ogong_jack.htm

I think I might follow in his footsteps.
                A bad workman blames his fools

EDIT: *tools

stupid keyboard.

http://twitter.com/TheAnonTechGuy

Comment

Working...
                X