• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

District 9

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I've seen the District Line.

That was also very moving.
    Looks like only me, but very good!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Assault on Precinct 13 is also good - just think for a moment why such movies ain't made in UK: that's because police don't have firearms to defend themselves if such thing was to happen.
      Criminals used to get most of their weapons by burgling nicks, home guard and armouries...
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

And in armoury they have got CS gas, night sticks etc? That would help against special forces like assault team shown in "Assault on Precinct 13"

Ask yourself, why did ENGLISH writer John Wyndham based his great book about triffids in the USA? That's in such event they got guns that can be used to defend themselves (how effectively is another matter).
        Yes, of course, you're right. We need to give everyone guns so that people can base their stories here

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
          Yes, of course, you're right. We need to give everyone guns so that people can base their stories here
          ATW can you please stop populating all the threads with posts on guns and violence.

Or I kill you

Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Ask yourself, why did ENGLISH writer John Wyndham based his great book about triffids in the USA? That's in such event they got guns that can be used to defend themselves (how effectively is another matter).
            WTF

The book starts in London, wanders around the southern counties and ends up in the Isle of Wight.

Guns did not work against Triffids. They had to invent CD launching devices to chop off the stinging part of the plant.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
              And it gave us the soundtrack to Xenon 2 Megablast.
              Dum diddle-iddle-um iddle-um dum.
              Dum diddle-iddle-um iddle-um dum (but slightly higher)
              Dum diddle-iddle-um iddle-um dum (but slightly lower)
              Dum diddle-iddle-um iddle-um dum.
              Repeat until insane.

Want a copy of the crack where the weapons are dead cheap? I still dig that out and play it from time to time.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                The book starts in London, wanders around the southern counties and ends up in the Isle of Wight.
                That's Night of Triffids written by Simon Clark, not Day of Triffids that I clearly referenced ... HOWEVER that book actually is set place in London also - this explains everything, lack of guns in the book == fresh meat for triffids!

Flamethrowers are firearms also, they did work on triffids

Comment

That's Night of Triffids written by Simon Clark, not Day of Triffids that I clearly referenced
                  John Wyndham wrote "The Day of the Triffids". It is set in Southern England.

I had never heard of "The Night of the Triffids is a science fiction novel by Simon Clark published in 2001". Link. Apparently the (successful) community in England are "rescued" and taken to Merkinland.

Manhattan, another safe island community, seems like a utopia, but David soon realises it is a dictatorship, run by an old enemy of his father.
                  That'll be the one with the guns then?

Comment

There were a couple of others (not triffids but similar "end of world" scenario).

Comment

Let's take zombie movies.

How many of them based in UK?

That's a much clear cut scenario than triffids - what would you shoot them in the head with, forks?

Comment

Working...
                      X