• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another tax

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8270772.stm

A broadband tax, which will see everyone with a fixed telephone line paying 50p extra a month, "will be law before the next election".

This is according to the Stephen Timms, the Minister for Digital Britain.

And when everyone says "Well it's only 50p, it will become £5, then £10...."

It's only fair
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Blimey. Old news or what?

Does anyone else think that Stephen Timms looks a bit 'special'?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/149000...4_timms150.jpg

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Will this count for cable?
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8270772.stm

A broadband tax, which will see everyone with a fixed telephone line paying 50p extra a month, "will be law before the next election".

This is according to the Stephen Timms, the Minister for Digital Britain.

And when everyone says "Well it's only 50p, it will become £5, then £10...."
          Would it put a serious dent in your otherwise massive fortune?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Would it put a serious dent in your otherwise massive fortune?
            Every little helps.

Comment

Great! I don't have broadband at home - its absolutely crap in my area - and I don't really need it either. I have found other things to do on weekends and evenings. Now I get dinged anyway, eventhough I don't want it.

Just great!
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Very.

I wonder if someone feeds him.

And wipes his bum.
                Certainly someone is doing the thinking for him, that's for sure.

Scorched earth by liebour - ramraiding all the ridiculous policies through before they get masacred next year to make life tough for the Tories.

Scum, the lot of them.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

The 50 pence a month tax applies to everyone with a fixed line telephone.
                  That's not a broadband tax. It's a telephone tax.

Mark my words, it's the thin end of the wedge. Next step those with a fixed line telephone will be assumed to have broadband and therefore capable of receiving TV, so the TV licence fee will kick in.

Irrespective of whether they have either TV or computer.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

This is horrendous.

It's for companies to provide a better service if that indeed need be the case.

This government is in desperate need of ousting -

Why aren't we taxing bankers and their associates? They caused the deficit they should pay not the citizens, which are seen more and more like a cashcow with each passing day.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X