• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sleep

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    do sharks sleep ?

Not sure if it's sharks, but some animals can switch off one side of their brain and operate with the other side, working shifts as it were. That is something that scientists could usefully work on duplicating in humans. Sleeping does seem like a huge waste of time. Mind you, in my case, so is being awake, to be honest.

Comment

Right, so it's a brain thing, nothing to do with being tired. Good.
      So what is down time ? what exactly is going on here ?
      http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/b...ding_sleep.htm

What Does Sleep Do For Us?

Although scientists are still trying to learn exactly why people need sleep, animal studies show that sleep is necessary for survival. For example, while rats normally live for two to three years, those deprived of REM sleep survive only about 5 weeks on average, and rats deprived of all sleep stages live only about 3 weeks. Sleep-deprived rats also develop abnormally low body temperatures and sores on their tail and paws. The sores may develop because the rats' immune systems become impaired. Some studies suggest that sleep deprivation affects the immune system in detrimental ways.

Sleep appears necessary for our nervous systems to work properly. Too little sleep leaves us drowsy and unable to concentrate the next day. It also leads to impaired memory and physical performance and reduced ability to carry out math calculations. If sleep deprivation continues, hallucinations and mood swings may develop. Some experts believe sleep gives neurons used while we are awake a chance to shut down and repair themselves. Without sleep, neurons may become so depleted in energy or so polluted with byproducts of normal cellular activities that they begin to malfunction. Sleep also may give the brain a chance to exercise important neuronal connections that might otherwise deteriorate from lack of activity.

Deep sleep coincides with the release of growth hormone in children and young adults. Many of the body's cells also show increased production and reduced breakdown of proteins during deep sleep. Since proteins are the building blocks needed for cell growth and for repair of damage from factors like stress and ultraviolet rays, deep sleep may truly be "beauty sleep." Activity in parts of the brain that control emotions, decision-making processes, and social interactions is drastically reduced during deep sleep, suggesting that this type of sleep may help people maintain optimal emotional and social functioning while they are awake. A study in rats also showed that certain nerve-signaling patterns which the rats generated during the day were repeated during deep sleep. This pattern repetition may help encode memories and improve learning.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
        Sleeping does seem like a huge waste of time. Mind you, in my case, so is being awake, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
          I was kind of hoping that at your age you'd be well on your way to answering most of life's little riddles.
          Not this one. It's something thats always fascinated me, but I dont have any clue

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Not this one. It's something thats always fascinated me, but I dont have any clue

Why don't you sleep on it?
            I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

I don't get much choice in the matter....

Brain gets tired and turns off, eyes shut!

No concious decision made.
              'elf and safety guru

Comment

I love sleeping.... it's one of my fave things to do. I am not a morning person and when I am tired I am seriously cranky!!!
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Sleep is also time for immune system to regroup and get ready for another day fighting baddies.
                  "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                    Sleep is also time for immune system to regroup and get ready for another day fighting baddies.
                    Well, I read the linky that Moscow Mule provided and its a very good theory. But there were a lot of ifs, buts and maybes.

A good working theory though

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Sleep is overrated - I need about 5 to 6 hours tops a night. I can’t 'lie in' and I wake up in the morning ready for a 2 hour debate on the pros and cons of snowflake schemas in data warehouse design! My brain is buzzing the minute I wake up.

Mr P is 9 hour a night man - more on the weekend and brain function doesn’t really start till around noon.

I go to bed after him and wake up before him. And I'm awake as soon as the sun comes up in summer - so I end up sleeping less in summer than winter.

My husband, daughter, cats & guinea pigs ALL sleep more than me!
                      I have no trouble getting to sleep - I just don’t do much of it.
                      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                      X