• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beggars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef View Post
    is he the one who needs just 11p to afford the train ticket back to blackpool? if so, i've seen him loads of times
    Yep thats the one...
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      If I leave my Hotel and walk about the streets of our beloved capital I am accosted at least once a night by someone begging for cash. I have decided not to give anyone any cash any more (I started this policy about a year ago after years of random giving). However, once asked I always feel guilty about declining, however if I really cared I could devote time and or money to homeless charities - but I don't. What do other panel members living or working in our fab capital (or indeed other places where they are regularly approached by beggars) do? Anyone give cash?
      I don't give money to beggers on the streets. I once made a donation to Crisis. Was going to make another one the following year, but they cold called and tried to "persuade" me to donate. I refused point blank, even after their guilt trip. Who are they to tell me where I should donate my money to? Since then, I have donated to NSPCC. Kids don't have the same choices as adults do.

I do sympathise with a lot of people who are sleeping rough on the streets, but I will not fuel their drugs and booze habits. Generalisation? I know.. but I don't know these people, so cannot assume that they will spend it on the right things, like a shower or food.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I only ever buy the big issue to assist. At least I feel they have "worked" for it and are trying to make progress in life.

I believe a very high percentage of homeless men lost everything in their divorce.....
        There was an old Albanian woman (I assume this as she was dressed exactly like the ones who keep falling over on the Spanish steps and I know they’re Albanian) selling the big issue in my Somerset town on Saturday afternoon which got me thinking…

Why should I buy it when she has made a conscious effort to up sticks and go to a foreign country with no intention other than to beg? Am I being harsh or should there be line drawn somewhere? Surely if she was successful at it that would give the green light for more tourist beggars?
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          There was an old Albanian woman (I assume this as she was dressed exactly like the ones who keep falling over on the Spanish steps and I know they’re Albanian) selling the big issue in my Somerset town on Saturday afternoon which got me thinking…

Why should I buy it when she has made a conscious effort to up sticks and go to a foreign country with no intention other than to beg? Am I being harsh or should there be line drawn somewhere? Surely if she was successful at it that would give the green light for more tourist beggars?
          There are about 30-40 of them that hit Glasgow city centre every day, some with Big Issues, some with accordions, some with guitars that have about 2 strings, the ones with no props just get on their knees. The teenagers can get pretty aggressive and hit on people who they know would pay up because they feel scared.

I know for a fact that they get dropped of in the morning in a Mercedes.

I really don’t see the point up putting them up in a council house that is pretty well equipped and giving the enough to get by on to then have them invade the city centre to hit on folk going about their business.

Comment

I know someone who takes advantage of the free meals in central London and he tells me everyone gets free food and there are just about enough beds around indoors for the night. Various Christian organisations contribute food.

Eastern Europeans - those who don't have jobs and can't claim benefits - including the mentally ill and criminally intent, take advantage also. From Victoria to the Strand you'll find 'em. Usually harmless and a bit noisy but they're part of the 'London scene'.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              I give each month to 3 charities via Direct Debit and I buy the big issue from the same guy who stands outside the local takeaway.

There's also a guy who I pass every other month or so who is almost always wasted sitting outside the local tesco express who I refuse to give money to as you know its going on crack or something similar, instead I ask what sandwich he wants on the way in and do a mini shop:

sandwich of his choice
              10 cigs or a handful out of the gf's pack (she should quit anyway)
              lighter
              bottle of OJ or pint milk
              sometimes a beer or 2 if that's what im there for

passed him just before xmas and felt so bad for the guy as it was bitter cold outside, the then gf never finishes her curry and leaves half in the tray/box so i reheated it, add some rice and naan and got an old camping fork and went back to give it to him, the guy was over the moon.. i figure if you know they are truly on the streets and not just students looking for extra cash (happened in sheffield) then why not help out? one day it could be me on the streets and i'd like to think i wouldnt get ignored by everyone..
              Not quite sure what value your shopping list adds to this thread but thanks for the insight all the same...
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                There is a fella in Manchester who asks for 11p - WTF - 11p???

Every night pretty much, he is there outside the bars on Deansgate... looking for 11p.
                Perhaps he is just really struggling to find his 11p. Tight northerners and all that. A while ago There was a homeless guy on the cadge where I live and I went to the chip shop and bought him fish and chips. The miserable old git started moaning that he wanted the money not the food. So I ate them myself.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                  There is a fella in Manchester who asks for 11p - WTF - 11p???

Every night pretty much, he is there outside the bars on Deansgate... looking for 11p.
                  Maybe he's Nigel Tufnel. Most people ask for 10p but he goes up to 11.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                    Perhaps he is just really struggling to find his 11p. Tight northerners and all that. A while ago There was a homeless guy on the cadge where I live and I went to the chip shop and bought him fish and chips. The miserable old git started moaning that he wanted the money not the food. So I ate them myself.
                    Every day?

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
                    Maybe he's Nigel Tufnel. Most people ask for 10p but he goes up to 11.
                    Dunno who that is
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I give them a roll-up.

Comment

Working...
                      X