• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    All tax was created "temporary" and was only meant to be levied against the wealthy. Of course this is no longer true - the middle classes are hit the worst and the wealthy pay very little. Would be nice to live in a place like Dubai, where there is very little tax (and no crime to boot).
    Well, that was kind of my point in asking the question (which nobody has attempted to answer).

Right now I have to live in the UK, but I get my contracts in several countries in Europe. In a year or so I might be ready to live somewhere else (it hardly matters where, in Europe), and I reckon that if I lived in Estonia I'd take home an extra £1400 a month. But I'd like to hear from anybody who has tried it.
    Wissen ist Macht, aber nichts wissen macht nichts.

Comment

Originally posted by Methuselah View Post
      Well, that was kind of my point in asking the question (which nobody has attempted to answer).

Right now I have to live in the UK, but I get my contracts in several countries in Europe. In a year or so I might be ready to live somewhere else (it hardly matters where, in Europe), and I reckon that if I lived in Estonia I'd take home an extra £1400 a month. But I'd like to hear from anybody who has tried it.
      Well, the biggest advantage would be the lower cost of living rather than the tax rate. I explored the possibility of commuting from Lithuania to London but at the end I decided not to pursue this idea for now. Rates however were around 30% there so I wouldn't expect such a big gain. The main reasons would be the lower cost of living and personals(of course).
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
        The main reasons would be the lower cost of living and personals(of course).
        You've got a Lithuanian boyfriend?

Comment

It is not an EU country, but I contracted and lived in Qatar for a year. It was nice - a bit hot sometimes though.

But is was actually a relief to not have to worry about filing tax forms and so on.

Do you have any specific questions?
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Working...
          X