• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cissp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cissp

Anyone got it, anyone trying to get it ? the rates seem fairly good so I'm wondering if its worth studying for....
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Got it 5 years ago and to be honest has made no difference. This is one exam that though long was easy to pass with just book reading and test exams.

Keeping it valid is a pain so I've let mine expire.

Comment

I don't really rate it but, as I'm in the middle of a sabbatical, I thought I'd knock it our purely to help land gigs (and that's what it's all about in the end). I have the exam booked next month and I'm doing a bit of light reading to prepare - not that I'm bothered if I fail of course, I've managed without it so far...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Depends what you are after. A lot of the meatier security related contracts have it as a non-negotiable requirement. I'm planning on doing it myself when I get a break to fit it in.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Nearly didn't make it to the exam. Big night out the night before and turned up hungover. Lost interest after 30 minutes and lost the will to live after an hour. Just couldn't be bothered so in and out within 2 hours.

Just got my email telling me I have passed!! I think that is a reflection of the level of the exam rather than my own exceptional skills...

Comment

Doing it myself ratewhore, what resources did you use? I have the latest 'CISSP all in one' by Shon Harris.

Hoping for the 17th May in Brussels.

Comment

Borrowed an older copy of that book, before they rejigged the sections. Spent a week or two after christmas having a read through that. Did a few tests from cccure.org and interestingly failed most of them.

I think the point I wanted to make was that this is not the be all and end all of security. In fact, I'm not sure where to position it these days. There are better certs out there to show technical ability (GIAC for example), there are better certs out there for security management (CISM), so apart from being a differentiator for those who have minimal experience, I'm failing to see the point of it.

As you can tell, I'm very cynical about the CISSP being the 'premier' security certification and only did it because I'm taking some time out and thought it constructive use of my time.

Comment

Yeah true but employers certainly are never that objective. If they ask for it better to have it I suppose. In my opinion there is nothing technical about it, more security management.

Comment

Doing it soon purely as a foot in the door exercise. Met some right clueless fools with it though so don't personally hold it in high regard.. few friends have let it lapse due to the hassle factor of keeping it too..

But if it gets me my next gig then great..
                  mmmmm stella

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
                    Anyone got it, anyone trying to get it ? the rates seem fairly good so I'm wondering if its worth studying for....
                    Getting it won't turn you into a 'security expert'. What having it will do however is increase your chances of getting through a recruiter's keyword filter.

I do a lot of work in system security and the fact is that lots of PHBs ask for CISSP without having a clue about it. So, it's on my CV and will stay there. If you do a normal amount of study & retraining (which as a professional you do as a matter of course... ) then keeping it is no problem at all.
                    I'm not so think as you drunk I am...

Comment

Working...
                    X