• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
    I think this i a bit of a bold assumption. If the market crashes, the second value of the comments will probably be a lot less too. No one is going to want to get into mining and no one will want to buy a second hand GPU that has been hammered by mining .
    Assuming it takes a while to crash (regulation isn't going to be bought out overnight) I will have made a fair chunk of change from mining the stuff already, so the components wouldn't need to fetch their purchase price. Additionally, there will always be idiots who are behind the curve. The key to this I think is keeping a close eye on things. That's not to say I may not fall into camp idiot. However, I don't think the market is ever going to entirely die.

Also, if I had ploughed that £2k into ETH or BTC before the drop, i'd be crying now. At least I have something tangible in my hands which is errr..... generating the un-tangible stuff... We'll gloss over that. Helps me sleep at night.

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Does the warranty cover burn out from 24/7 maxing out/overclocking

Safer to get a part time job as sys admin for a company or university with lots of servers currently under utilised.
    Even if the cards have been overclocked they are covered under warranty, the only exception being that if you damage the PCB by over volting them. If you do that they'll easily be able to detect you've been mucking about. I've not changed the voltage of my cards. The other exception may be that if you melted them.. But I've got sensible power and fan settings.

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    If mining is profitable why aren't the gfx card manufacturers doing the mining themselves?

Apparently the hashrate has increased 20% recently

Shares in gfx card manufacturers must be on the up too.
    Have you seen some of the enormous farms? Find it hard to believe these aren't being run by people within the GPU manufacturing business.

hashrate difficulty is determined per coin - which coin do you mean? Eth?

Cards have gone up in price approximately 25% everywhere - now would be a good time to buy some shares in NVIDIA, wouldn't touch AMD cards with a barge pole, too power hungry. Team green are on top from what I can see in terms of coin returns per watt of pulled power.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Forcecoin (FOR) - So ripe for mining right now, there's hardly any volume trading at the minute.

Since I've had the wallet running I'm receiving thousands of coins a week.

Really really need to set up zencash secure nodes, feck what a numpty.
      Zen Secure Nodes have now paid out up to 23-jan (from 17-dec start).

Each node has paid out just over 2 zen.

Comment

Originally posted by bish View Post

How much are you paying to rent a VPS?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I'm not renting a VPS. You could try someone like www.ovh.co.uk, they look pretty good value.

Comment

How much are you paying to rent a VPS?
            I'll do you €30 per node per month; initial €400 per node setup, min order of 5.

Comment

Originally posted by bish View Post

Doesn't sound like much. Or am I misunderstanding the concept and ROI?

EDIT: >ZenCash Secure Nodes Calculator and https://securenodes.eu.zensystem.io/

Interesting. Stats show around 5700 active Zen nodes globally and at $37 a coin you're making around $50/month (1.3 ZEN) for each node before VPS hosting costs. Unless coin value goes up or number of nodes stops increases, it won't be worthwhile creating Zen nodes.
              Last edited by ChimpMaster; 23 January 2018, 21:27.

Comment

Annual ROI in Zen: 23.43% - using the calculator above, not bad. And that assumes the price does not change.

I noticed reddit channels have a number of folks moaning at the cost of setting up a node now that the price has started to increase.

It becomes exciting when you consider the possible future value of the coin. Set up 10 nodes and that's $4k a month from the magic tree.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

This might interest some of you, how to analyze your crypto portfolio and see if the risk / reward is any better than just buying bitcoins (used as the benchmark).

https://medium.freecodecamp.org/i-bu...u-bdaba618aeca

Comment

Annual ROI in Zen: 23.43% - using the calculator above, not bad. And that assumes the price does not change.

I noticed reddit channels have a number of folks moaning at the cost of setting up a node now that the price has started to increase.

It becomes exciting when you consider the possible future value of the coin. Set up 10 nodes and that's $4k a month from the magic tree.
                    As I mentioned before, I looked into this and setting up was a nightmare....

Also, how much zen do you need to get the node started these days? It was a few quid tied up if I remember. (EDIT - 42 nodes needed so approx $1550)

But if I remember you could rent a virtual server for $5 a month.
                    Last edited by psychocandy; 24 January 2018, 09:33.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      This might interest some of you, how to analyze your crypto portfolio and see if the risk / reward is any better than just buying bitcoins (used as the benchmark).

https://medium.freecodecamp.org/i-bu...u-bdaba618aeca

Dim, have you invested in Bitcoins? I am waiting for you to start piling in as the green signal to wade in myself.
                      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                      X