• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
    Buy low, sell high.
    you got it

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      no, they're holding them as the ultimate life insurance policy like gold, and they think gold is passe, and when the nuclear war or whatever comes, and there's no electricity they're going to find that their hard disk with a gazillion bitcoins on it is only good for a propping up their bed in their cave

Milan.
      Where has this comparison to gold come from? I don't think anyone expects it to replace gold.

Comment

Where has this comparison to gold come from? I don't think anyone expects it to replace gold.

Lance does,

"you don't understand Bitcoins, nor the 'last fool' principle which keeps gold at a certain value. Neither have inherent value."

Gold has a certain value because it is physical.

Milan.

Comment

Lance does,

"you don't understand Bitcoins, nor the 'last fool' principle which keeps gold at a certain value. Neither have inherent value."

Gold has a certain value because it is physical.

Milan.
          Gold is a funny beast. But it has acted as a store of wealth for thousands of years ('a barbarous relic'), so we should probably see it as an exception. Any idea that another exception can be created, no matter how clever the mechanism for limiting supply, is at high risk of producing a speculative bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            Gold is a funny beast. But it has acted as a store of wealth for thousands of years ('a barbarous relic'), so we should probably see it as an exception. Any idea that another exception can be created, no matter how clever the mechanism for limiting supply, is at high risk of producing a speculative bubble.

what do you do with your BitCoins when there's a power cut ?

Milan.

Comment

what do you do with your BitCoins when there's a power cut ?

Milan.
              I don't have any. But I assume they are backed up on tape

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                Scoots are you back into BTC yet? Almost a 40% correction off the recent highs but there's no support until around $2000.
                No. But got more LiteCoin and Ripple. LC now $41 - strong buy at minute.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  No. But got more LiteCoin and Ripple. LC now $41 - strong buy at minute.
                  Everything looks relatively cheap compared to a week ago. But compared to 6 months ago everything looks vastly overvalued.

XLM is down 30% today to $0.10.

Be careful Scoots. I hope you managed to park a lot of your gains.

Comment

It's because of the 'finite amount' element that there will only (apparently) be x amount of bitcoins in circulation after they have all been mined and we won't be able to print more of it like we can with FIAT currency.

While gold has a physical finite amount available it can't be watered down by central banks creating more of it. I'd be interested to see how a limit on bitcoin mining is enforced - especially if banks and governments get any kind of control over it. If it's just virtual technology what's to stop them just changing the code to keep mining more with virtual printing presses?

I was in Yosemite during the summer and got chatting to a couple of gold panners who still find it on their land. The US government are very strict on what you can and can't do on land you own with regard to mining for gold, you can pan streams that run through your property and keep any you find lying around (they find nuggets on the ground still) but any digging or use of machinery and you're in big trouble - and they send round inspectors to check...

According to these guys the vast majority of gold is still in the ground.
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      I don't have any. But I assume they are backed up on tape
                      encrypt them and store on Onedrive
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X