• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    Taking the opportunity to derail the thread with some interesting facts. Banks don't have to have money in order to lend it. They create it out of thin air by increasing the balance on a current account when they make a loan. There will be an offsetting balance change on the customers loan account, so neither the bank nor the customer experience a change in net worth in the instant money is created.

A current account balance and a loan account balance both represent an amount of debt. The current account balance is an amount owed to the customer by the bank, while the loan account is an amount owed to the bank by the customer. All modern-world money is debt, but not all debt is money. The debt represented by the current account balance is money because it is portable, it can be transferred around the banking system. The debt represented by the original loan is not money, because it is not similarly portable.

If you imagine a simplified scenario where there is only one bank in the world and deposits are the only kind of money, when the money created is spent, all that happens is that one customer current account is debited and another customer account credited. So the sum total of deposits at the bank doesn't change, and the sum total of deposit money always matches the sum total of outstanding loans. (Whenever a loan is repaid, a corresponding amount of money is destroyed.)

In the real world, money that is spent can flow to other banks. To ensure the integrity of the banking system, banks are required to balance their books. One way they can do this is to compete for deposits by the interest rate they offer. So it may often be true that total deposits at a bank roughly match total lending, but the idea that deposits are lent has things backwards. Deposits are not used to create loans, the making of loans creates deposits.

(I obtained these fascinating insights from articles on Bank of England web site. )

I'm in complete agreement with you. But only when applied to BOE. Many of the world's banks do not operate in this fashion.

High street banks should not be in a position of money creation. Ever since the Tories threw regulation out the window UK banks have become dependant on free money, thereby inflating asset prices and building up debt burdens.

The integrity of the banking system has long been broken. That became clear during the credit crisis.

Paper fiat only has value because we agree it has value. I started this thread because I saw another system far more efficient than paper money or gold. A system that we can all agree on that is not open to ledger manipulation and is independent of government politics.

The current money system that removes wealth from individuals to benefit of the few that control it is clearly not fit for purpose. Change is coming like it or not.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      I'm in complete agreement with you. But only when applied to BOE. Many of the world's banks do not operate in this fashion.

High street banks should not be in a position of money creation. Ever since the Tories threw regulation out the window UK banks have become dependant on free money, thereby inflating asset prices and building up debt burdens.

The integrity of the banking system has long been broken. That became clear during the credit crisis.

Paper fiat only has value because we agree it has value. I started this thread because I saw another system far more efficient than paper money or gold. A system that we can all agree on that is not open to ledger manipulation and is independent of government politics.

The current money system that removes wealth from individuals to benefit of the few that control it is clearly not fit for purpose. Change is coming like it or not.
      Can you get me a quarter of dutch cheese from the dark web if I post you the money?

Thx.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
        I've learnt the hard way (more than once) never to count an MA crossover until it's hatched
        Death cross has hatched. Although to confuse the picture, BTC has bounced back sharply above the 200dma.

Bitcoincharts | Charts
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
          Death cross has hatched. Although to confuse the picture, BTC has bounced back sharply above the 200dma.

Bitcoincharts | Charts
          FFS Can't BTC read the charts? Death cross and price jumps up through the roof. Have a word...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            FFS Can't BTC read the charts? Death cross and price jumps up through the roof. Have a word...
            If only it were as easy as death/life crosses...
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I could be wrong but BTC seems heavily manipulated.
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                I could be wrong but BTC seems heavily manipulated.
                Sure is. Wild west. Same is true with all immature markets.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Slowly slowly institutions are dipping their toes in the water.

Tezos, one of my fav projects.

TZero to tokenise $640 million of real estate projects across the UKTZero to tokenise $640 million of real estate projects across the UK

tZERO, the global leader in blockchain innovation for capital markets, announced today that it has partnered with Alliance Investments, a UK-based direct-to-developer real estate investment company, to provide technology services to tokenize Alliance Investments’ River Plaza, a 180-unit luxury residential development that is located in Manchester, UK.

River Plaza is the UK’s first real estate-backed security token offering (STO) and the first project of Alliance Investments’ real estate tokenization plan to tokenize approximately $640 million of real estate projects across the UK over the next several years.

Alliance Investments intends to tokenize at least $25 million of the value of River Plaza. The River Plaza STO will be digitized using tZERO’s tokenization technology and Megalodon’s advisory services and issued on the Tezos Blockchain. River Plaza’s security tokens will provide investors with liquidity through tZERO’s secondary trading technology, which powers the alternative trading system operated by PRO Securities, LLC, a subsidiary of tZERO. The STO is expected to launch in Q1 of 2020.

Comment

Five European Union Countries Team Up to Block Libra: Report

Comment

Good on them. Libra = centralised fraud

Comment

Working...
                      X