• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Your first contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000, best rate £450 a day from my ex employer. Teach them to hack me off.

Combined with a little bit less from 3 other clients. I did well until New Lie imported ICTs by the plane load.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

14th April 1993, left my perm job for the bright lights of BASS in brum, yes it was a brewery. I was on a days notice for 2 weeks as they hated the chap before me and didnt want to risk it again.
      He turned up to ask for the job back same day I did and since they had told him it was budget cuts rather than that he was a t**t, they had to keep me out of the way till they got shot of him.
      From 17k/year to 675/week (seemed like a lot when my monthly expenses were about half this)...

Comment

28th Feb 2011 - £330 a day

End of 2010 I had a breakdown, tried to kill myself gave up my permie civil service job and moved back home, applied for permie and contract jobs at the same time, got offered a permie job then a contract, walked out of the permie job after a few weeks into the contract.

Had a clear focus from contracting to be debt free, am now debt free so don't care if I go back to permie with the latest set of changes from the budged, it was a means to an end
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          28th Feb 2011 - £330 a day

End of 2010 I had a breakdown, tried to kill myself gave up my permie civil service job and moved back home, applied for permie and contract jobs at the same time, got offered a permie job then a contract, walked out of the permie job after a few weeks into the contract.

Had a clear focus from contracting to be debt free, am now debt free so don't care if I go back to permie with the latest set of changes from the budged, it was a means to an end

sounds like contracting has been kind to you.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

2003 oracle apps functional analyst 350 per day in Amsterdam

don't recall the salary i was on in my last permanent job - probably 35k

i couldn't believe that were paying so much per day and i was right to be incredulous 'cos they weren't for very long as the agency went bankrupt after 6 months. i was too trusting and nearly went bankrupt myself. bastard learning curve.

Comment

1997 - Project Manager for Ericsson working on Mobile Phone Networks in Guernsey and the Isle of Man. A paltry £25 per hour but it was worth it to get away from the permie hell I was enduring prior to that.
              Lots of expensed trips to both places too although being based out of Burgess Hill was a bit of a trial.

My next contract was for a sh*tload more cash for doing a fraction of the work. Swings and roundabouts and all that.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Well I was a shop assistant for 5 years heard a lot about the contracting lark from my buddies. So they said just do this basic 2 week hardware/ms dos course. Knocked up a very creative and then the interview at a global telecoms giant in 1997 the guy asked me "what would you do if a user said PC not working on the end of a phone" my response "ah well are you sure everything is pluged in correctly and take it from there" he loved my answer and followed by tons of BS I got the gig. Boy did I tulip myself when I discovered email. But learned very quickly how to survive in this fical world. £15 pH. Not bad for a shop assistant.

Comment

Spent a-g-e-s getting knocked back for gigs (like just now), then in 1990 I got my first direct contract on £25 p.h. doing unix sysadmin. Became a P.M. swiftly thereafter. on the same moolah. The banks were on a cyclical dip in their recruitment, and I tried to hire a Sybase DBA for my team, and he told me he would work for me as a favour (because we knew him) for an absolute minimum of £50 p.h. - which was well under what he was getting in the City.

First 10 years without a single day out, and then everything downhill slowly thereafter......

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Ha, kids today!
                  My first contract was in 1977 on a rate of £120 per week. A big jump from a salary of £3600 a year.
                  Great to see you're still in the game - AND you've improved your lot by speaking a couple of languages. Well done fella !

Comment

2010 in the midst of a recession, many at the time said I was taking a gamble with first kid on the way and leaving the "security" of permiedom.

Fook that "security". I left 27k job for £250/day which was a massive relief at the time. I was depressed and fed up in permiedom and that £250/day has steadily risen to a much healthier figure.

Have more security now than I ever did as permie, that's cos contracts suite me a hell of a lot more and I know to play the game (so far).
                    Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 9 July 2015, 23:57.

Comment

Working...
                    X