• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting article

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting article

Thought you would might be intereted in this article...

How you can pay only 21% of tax on £100,000 income (and keep your child benefit) - IR35 rules explained

Good spot, DK.

I don't know how to react to this increased attention to contracting. On the one hand it might prompt the powers that be to finally do something about the calamity that is IR35, but on the other hand, with the public's current appetite for persecuting anyone who earns more than an average wage it might get messy...

Doesn't help that the article is riddled with inaccuracies either.
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Interesting to see the press so interested in starting this witch hunt. I'm sure that its not just the TV and footballers that are into this. I would imagine most of the freelance press and graphics teams will be knee deep in this too...

The turkeys just dowsed themselves in petrol and lit a match...

Comment

Most of that is just telling us how we work but interesting to see the spin put on by the outsiders. The IR35 wins stats are interesting though.

2000–01: 16 cases (£0 recouped)
        2001–02: 261 (£0)
        2002–03: 1,016 (£946,275)
        2003–04: 1,166 (£1,973,851)
        2004–05: 771 (£1,447,796)
        2005–06: 656 (£2,316,351)
        2006–07:158 (£1,906,619)
        2007–08: 104 (£1,730,640)
        2008–09: 25 (£1,430,358)
        2009–10: 12 (£155,502)
        2010–11: 23 (£219,180)
        and this is nice reading.

The latest figures it has published, up to March 2010, claim that PCG legal advisers have won 1,485 cases for members and HMRC has won just eight.
        I expect Mal to be here in a minute seems PCG was mentioned
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Also loved the comments...

Did it for 17 years between 1991 and 2008 then packed in and moved to Spain on the money I had saved. Brilliant, just get a good accountant.
          - rob boberts, worcester, uk, 3/2/2012 12:55
          Click to rate Rating 17
          and just the other side of the page...

We are all in this together............like ****.
          - Ivor Addenuf, cuckoo land, 3/2/2012 13:44
          Click to rate Rating 12
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Most of that is just telling us how we work but interesting to see the spin put on by the outsiders. The IR35 wins stats are interesting though.

and this is nice reading.

I expect Mal to be here in a minute seems PCG was mentioned
            Interesting to see the figures for all this fuss. However it looks like they had actually got their acts together towards the end. with a few high end cases netting heavy returns. But what it does not show is the massive legal bills that they would have ran up in the process...

Comment

I may have been moved to post something. Wonder if they'll print it...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

They did!

Comment

Now everybody, don't forget to 'like' Malcolm's post
                  World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    Interesting to see the press so interested in starting this witch hunt. I'm sure that its not just the TV and footballers that are into this. I would imagine most of the freelance press and graphics teams will be knee deep in this too...

The turkeys just dowsed themselves in petrol and lit a match...
                    Not sure it is just the Press behind this article. "Those who choose to become a contractor should sign up to the PCG, which offers legal protection and advice on how to operate. Its membership has grown to 20,000: www.pcg.org.uk" Blatant plug for PCG as far as I can see!

Comment

Working...
                    X