• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent & client messing about.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent & client messing about.

What I really mean is agent & client pissing about regarding a role. I've had enough and am on the verge of walking away.

The agent contacted me about this role in early December while I was at previous client. Agent gave a brief overview as this particular client is know for very brief job specs. He asked about rates and so told him what my then current rate was plus a bit extra.

This role was paying a little less than I wanted, in the region of 30 quid a day less. However, the good points were a slightly shorter commute and a 35 hour week excluding an extra hour or two a week I tend to give.

On 6 Jan having thought the role had gone, I got a request to go for interview on the following monday. Interview went well and interviewer said client is notorious at dragging their feet.

So, beginning of this week, I finally get 'an offer.' Only its another 20 quid a day less than the rate I said I was prepared to go in at having made it clear that was the rate and not a penny less. The agent also threw in their payment terms which were 60 days! WTF!? After a bit of too-ing and fro-ing, they caved in to fortnightly payment.

Despite repeated requests, Im still waiting for a copy of the contract and the agent said 'well we wouldnt change anything in it any way.'

TBH, I've had enough of the messing around (there has been other bits and pieces). I no longer have confidence in the agent. As far as the client goes, it wouldnt surprise me one jot if they (or the agent) tried to pull a rate reduction part way through the contract making the rate one I'd never have considered in the first place.

Now I know the market isnt good and I have nothing else lined up (still in holiday mode I guess) but, I dont want to take up a role and find other tulipe comes out of the woodwork during the contract.

I guess agents and clients do this because of the state of the market and, think they can get away with it.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

It isn't a nice situation but certainly isn't unusual. Had something similar happen twice in the first 4 gigs I had. One I just refused and the other I don't know the outcome as I got another contract while they were messing about.

I don't think they do this on purpose at all. I have seen the client mess about getting bodies in on the gig I am on and in nearly every case it is out of the managers hands so as frustrating for him. There is no commmercial or business benefit in dicking you about liket this at all.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      I guess agents and clients do this because of the state of the market and, think they can get away with it.
      Exactly. Agents and (some) clients seem to be of the impression that you will be so grateful in these dire times to take anything, that you will thank them for the shafting that they offer.

Keep looking - it sounds like this one is going to be a nightmare, and you know it. When it comes to renewal, it sounds like you're going to get much the same - last minute decisions, lower rates, more grief.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Sympathies BB, and am going through the same; been advised (2 weeks ago) I've got the role (this is the ether-based senior role referred to in another thread - so no Boom! on that one yet), and despite trying, I cannot get start date/contract/full role spec or anything else, apart from 'you have the role and you're in the database against the role'. Now recruiter won't answer calls or respond to emails. Maybe b'cos they don't know anything, OK, but I don't take ignorance very well, and I think communication is key, even if only responding 'we don't know anymore just yet'.

Am now pursuing other roles, have interviews next week. If offered either of them, the original ether-role can get stuffed where the sun don't shine, despite being better rates.

I'm a patient man, but everyone has their threshold, and I think mine must be at the 2 week post-interview juncture.

Oh, btw this has been going on since beginning Dec 2011 too!
        Last edited by SteelyDan; 20 January 2012, 12:05.
        Clarity is everything

Comment

Agree with all the comments here (sorry NLUK, have to spread the rep before I can re give). Im pretty patient (yes, I am!) but this is sorely testing me.

There's not much on JS so Im going to get more proactive and re engage the networking.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
          X