• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two day developer role???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two day developer role???

So, I got a call from an agency about a C# developer role for just 2 days. The money is the absolute minimum I'd consider getting out of bed for but for 2 days I figure it's better than being on the bench and won't make me miss the better gig that is bound to come along.

Thing is they are one of those 'meet the agent' types and got me to meet them one day before the gig is supposed to start. I'm expecting to find out more about the gig and how I would possibly get anything constructive done coming in with no knowledge of the project but he says he's still not heard much from the client except that it's to cover someone else for the 2 days. He goes on to have me give them the low down on what my skills are and what I'm looking for etc then tries to get me to look at a fricking low paying permie role.

He's supposed to get back to me today but my dodgy alarms bells are going off thinking something's weird here. Have I just been shafted out of two hours (of internet surfing )? Was he thinking I'd buckle in person and agree to some naff permie role or is there such a thing as a 2 day dev role?

Originally posted by Funkywood View Post
    So, I got a call from an agency about a C# developer role for just 2 days. The money is the absolute minimum I'd consider getting out of bed for but for 2 days I figure it's better than being on the bench and won't make me miss the better gig that is bound to come along.

Thing is they are one of those 'meet the agent' types and got me to meet them one day before the gig is supposed to start. I'm expecting to find out more about the gig and how I would possibly get anything constructive done coming in with no knowledge of the project but he says he's still not heard much from the client except that it's to cover someone else for the 2 days. He goes on to have me give them the low down on what my skills are and what I'm looking for etc then tries to get me to look at a fricking low paying permie role.

He's supposed to get back to me today but my dodgy alarms bells are going off thinking something's weird here. Have I just been shafted out of two hours (of internet surfing )? Was he thinking I'd buckle in person and agree to some naff permie role or is there such a thing as a 2 day dev role?
    I am sure there is such a thing as a 2 day Dev role.......
    I am pretty sure such a role would demand a premium (not a Tulip rate)....
    I am pretty sure such a role would usually demand a "Guru" (not with all due respect an "unknown" ie If the Pimp has to meet you he doesn't know you)....

Even given the above - If you could get a couple of days (even of Tulip money) - Why not?
    but if you don't yet have a contract (for two days) then the question
    Should I give up a day (for free) to meet up with a Pimp for the prospect of a couple of days money?

My answer would be - No chance.....

It appears yours was - Yes...... but it turned out he was just fishing......

I would say - "You live and learn" and suggest you don't fall for that line again!
    Unfortunately your "Dodgy Alarm" rang far to late!

Comment

Originally posted by Funkywood View Post
      Thing is they are one of those 'meet the agent' types and got me to meet them one day before the gig is supposed to start. I'm expecting to find out more about the gig and how I would possibly get anything constructive done coming in with no knowledge of the project but he says he's still not heard much from the client except that it's to cover someone else for the 2 days.
      Ahh, you have a signed contract for the two day role, right?

I wouldn't bother meeting the agent for a 2 day gig. Suggest that they meet you and take you out to lunch when you are working at your job.

You might find that it's a two day interview (albeit paid) to see how you get on and you might get offered a longer contract (or heaven forbid, a permie role). Just make sure they don't hook you into a crap rate.

Good luck!
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Realistically what can you achieve in two days? it's more likely client want's to
        see how you work and if you fit in, most gigs I've done in the past for a week
        have turned out to be 6 months or more...

Comment

Working...
        X