• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

first timer :)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first timer :)

Hey all

I have just recently been made redundant and think its time for a change to decided to have a look into contracting for a bit, Mainly in the South Wales area

Am only looking into doing some desktop support/rollout work really as I have been doing Windows server/citrix support for the last year and miss the hands on work I used to do in desktop support. I have over 5 years experience in genreral desktop support and about 3 years in server/citrix support.

I think I am going to use an umbrella company called Parasol as they where recommended to me by a friend. I think ill go down this line as I dont want the hassle of starting up a limited company and dealing with my own taxes.

Have read through all first timer stuff on te main site and it was very informative. is there anything else i should look out for ?

Anyway just wanted to say hi and introduce myself really

Originally posted by mks2005 View Post
    Hey all

I have just recently been made redundant and think its time for a change to decided to have a look into contracting for a bit, Mainly in the South Wales area

Am only looking into doing some desktop support/rollout work really as I have been doing Windows server/citrix support for the last year and miss the hands on work I used to do in desktop support. I have over 5 years experience in genreral desktop support and about 3 years in server/citrix support.

I think I am going to use an umbrella company called Parasol as they where recommended to me by a friend. I think ill go down this line as I dont want the hassle of starting up a limited company and dealing with my own taxes.

Have read through all first timer stuff on te main site and it was very informative. is there anything else i should look out for ?

IIRC Parasol have been given the stamp of approval by the PCG, so must be likely not to be a problem.

Good luck with you new direction...not that I know anything about desktop support, it sounds like you have enough experience to be able to offer your clients a worthwhile service.

Comment

Good luck with it.
      In my simple world view, South Wales == call centres == lots of desktop support work. Hope that's true!

Comment

yeah there are tons of helpdesk rolls, i really dont want to take those not my favorite type of work lol..

I really enjoy the hands on second line stuff, for the last year i have been doing remote server support with very little hands on work and it bores me lol..

tho saying that i would not find if the server work was hands on id go for that as well

So yeah south wales it is, or maybe bristol but dont want to go much further than that working away from home for the last year has sucked.

Comment

Hey all

Hello and welcome! Parasol are a good start, until you start seeing those Employer NI figures start racking up on your payslips

Do research the limited option if you think you'll be in for the longer term though.

Comment

I guess I want to test the waters before I go down the route of setting up a ltd company thats why i decided to use a parasol.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              Good luck with it.
              In my simple world view, South Wales == call centres == lots of desktop support work. Hope that's true!
              Very true, when I search on Jobserve I get loads of results for Cardiff as I'm only about 10 miles away as the crow flies, the trouble is its 54 miles by road.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

hi

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  Very true, when I search on Jobserve I get loads of results for Cardiff as I'm only about 10 miles away as the crow flies, the trouble is its 54 miles by road.
                  Get yourself a speed boat. Shame Bullseye isn't on TV anymore.

Comment

Welcome - you have reached the pinnacle...
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X