• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking of taking the plunge as an IT Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of taking the plunge as an IT Contractor

Hi everyone!

So here's me...

Computing graduate, 7 years as a 70%+ hands-on developer and technical consultant, 8 years technical project management experience, account and programme management 3 years experience.

Having always worked as a permie I'm seriously thinking about contracting now. South west based, and looking to move nearer to the city in the next few years. Basically I've never contracted but want to know what it's like, and learn the ins and outs. I'm raring to go.

I've read through a lot of material on this site, and my current mindset says "Go Umbrella, give contracting a go - and maybe upgrade to Ltd in x years time when you're more seasoned and know what you're doing.".

What I'm looking to avoid is a massive learning curve relating to running a Ltd, at the same time as going for my first contract. A bit like playing a video game on EASY (Umbrella) skill level first, rather than going straight for HARD (Ltd) skill level and getting pwned.

I see most of the people on here are seasoned Ltd owners. I'd like to get there, but one step at a time - walk before you can run - that's my theory.

So what are people's thoughts on the administration overheads for a newbie going Umbrella? Cloud9 says "set up in 3 minutes", so would that mean if I find and accept a contract job this week I'm all set? Stupid questions and I'm inviting a flaming probably.

I'm currently thinking of giving contracting a go for a couple of years - and maybe reverting back to permie if it's not for me. But I REALLY want to try it, especially if I can move close to the city in 2 years time (which I reckon I could do). I'm 1 hour 45 minutes from Paddington right now. I'm eye-balling south west London in 2 years time.

Ta - and looking forward to spending more time on here!

Originally posted by ForBajor View Post
    Hi everyone!

So here's me...

Computing graduate, 7 years as a 70%+ hands-on developer and technical consultant, 8 years technical project management experience, account and programme management 3 years experience.

Having always worked as a permie I'm seriously thinking about contracting now. South west based, and looking to move nearer to the city in the next few years. Basically I've never contracted but want to know what it's like, and learn the ins and outs. I'm raring to go.

I've read through a lot of material on this site, and my current mindset says "Go Umbrella, give contracting a go - and maybe upgrade to Ltd in x years time when you're more seasoned and know what you're doing.".

What I'm looking to avoid is a massive learning curve relating to running a Ltd, at the same time as going for my first contract. A bit like playing a video game on EASY (Umbrella) skill level first, rather than going straight for HARD (Ltd) skill level and getting pwned.

I see most of the people on here are seasoned Ltd owners. I'd like to get there, but one step at a time - walk before you can run - that's my theory.

So what are people's thoughts on the administration overheads for a newbie going Umbrella? Cloud9 says "set up in 3 minutes", so would that mean if I find and accept a contract job this week I'm all set? Stupid questions and I'm inviting a flaming probably.

I'm currently thinking of giving contracting a go for a couple of years - and maybe reverting back to permie if it's not for me. But I REALLY want to try it, especially if I can move close to the city in 2 years time (which I reckon I could do). I'm 1 hour 45 minutes from Paddington right now. I'm eye-balling south west London in 2 years time.

Ta - and looking forward to spending more time on here!
    Why do you want to be a contractor?

Comment

Using an umbrella company for your first contract is a good move, especially if you are inside IR35 but you need to understand how their processes work. You become the employee of the umbrella company and will work under a contract of employment; the umbrella then has a business to business contract with the recruitment agency or end client. An invoice will be raised each month or week for your hours/days worked at the contract rate; when the umbrella receives payment of the invoice they will fulfill their legal obligations and pay Employer's National Insurance contributions to HMRC, they will also retain a margin for their services (usually around £100 per month). The balance is then your salary which is subject to PAYE taxes and NI contributions. You may be entitled to claim tax relief on expenses through the umbrella but only if they have an over-arching employment contract in place and only if you intend to work on more than one assignment whilst in their employment. No umbrella company should be able to offer you a higher take home than any other as we are all governed by HMRC.

HTH
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Do it. If it's for you it will work out and if not you can always go back to permie. Fortune favours the brave!

Setting up and running a Ltd is not rocket surgery, especially if you pay one of the many contractor-friendly accountancies a small fee to do the hard work for you.

Good luck!

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by robpow View Post
          Setting up and running a Ltd is not rocket surgery, especially if you pay one of the many contractor-friendly accountancies a small fee to do the hard work for you.
          Sorry but this gives the OP a completely misleading impression - running a Limited Company comes with many responsibilities and many pitfalls if you don't know what you're doing. Yes, a good accountant will help you out with information but it's up to the individual to read and understand it - a cavalier approach like this is just likely to drop the OP in it with HMRC further down the line
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I would echo the caution on setting up a limited company - it's tax efficient and can be a great thing, but you have to put some effort in too. People who open a company and expect to sit back and do no work themselves, and learn nothing about taxes etc, tend to be the ones that get into trouble.
            ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Of course, as with anything you have to know what you are doing. I wouldn't suggest everybody start taking their cars apart just because there happens to be manuals in the library.

The key thing to remember when running your own company is that you are ultimately always responsible for your actions. There aren't the equivalent of the many consumer protection laws that prevent individuals from getting ripped off or stung with excess charges etc.

I'm still of the opinion that with the assistance of a good accountant it is not disproportionately difficult to start and operate a Ltd co or else no one would be doing it.

What is important is that everyone's situation and mindset is different, if you know you aren't interested in learning, and perhaps even enjoying, how to operate as a company then of course this route isn't for you.

Don't be put off but also don't trivialise it!

Matt

Comment

Welcome to CUK ForBajor!
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I went 6 months umbrella for my first gig. I had enough on getting my head round the gig and delivering from day one to worry about the company side. It might have cost me a little bit but looking at the crap some people land themselves in trying to do it all at once I think it was money very well spent. If you are going to stay contracting then it's absolute peanuts in the long run as well.

I think it's a pretty valid approach and not one to be dismissed just because seasoned guys give you a one liner saying LTD's are easy.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I think it's a pretty valid approach and not one to be dismissed just because seasoned guys give you a one liner saying LTD's are easy.
                    If you think that you might be doing it for a while, and you have done some research, then I would go Ltd from the outset - I did.

I did lots of research first (not on here), and spoke to a local accountant about it. I made sure I knew what to expect, so very little has really surprised me. I'm pretty sure that if I'd started with an umbrella (or Ltd but declaring myself inside IR35 for "safety"), I'd still be doing that - based mainly on the fact that I'm pretty lazy when it comes down to changing things that appear to be running successfully.

In my last permie job, I was the only permie in a team of contractors, so I had some people around me to pick their brains before I made the decision to go. I had a look at how they worked, and brushed up on IR35 before making the leap (one guy I worked with always declared himself inside, one guy said he did a few years outside and then a couple of years inside, and everyone else always worked outside - and yet they did the same roles in the same manner).

I have nothing against umbrellas (apart from those that say you can get 90%, or those that run off with the money and set up as new ones straight away), but I think that if you know what you are getting into (and if you are a programme manager then I would expect you to be able to research and understand how to do things right and wrong) then that's the way I would work from the off.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X