• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Want to become Contractor !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to become Contractor !

hi all,

I am an electronics/software engineer with over 12 years experience in the semiconductor industry. Over this time I have developed strong Unix/Linux, SW and HW skills and now want to fully transition into IT. Reason - There are far more opportunities in this than a pure electronics role and the higher wages appeal to me!

I have summerised my IT skills below:

15 years Linux experience including server setup, infrastructure, backups (RAID, SAN), shell scripting (perl, python, tcl) , virtual box, web development (apache, mySQL, php, css, html), embedded Linux.

I have seen a number of Linux support / developer roles that I know I could do rate ~£350 a day. Do you think I would have a chance of getting anything ?

what courses would you recommend I did to improve my chances ? Redhat etc.

thanks

Originally posted by systemx4 View Post
    hi all,

I am an electronics/software engineer with over 12 years experience in the semiconductor industry. Over this time I have developed strong Unix/Linux, SW and HW skills and now want to fully transition into IT. Reason - There are far more opportunities in this than a pure electronics role and the higher wages appeal to me!

I have summerised my IT skills below:

15 years Linux experience including server setup, infrastructure, backups (RAID, SAN), shell scripting (perl, python, tcl) , virtual box, web development (apache, mySQL, php, css, html), embedded Linux.

I have seen a number of Linux support / developer roles that I know I could do rate ~£350 a day. Do you think I would have a chance of getting anything ?

thanks
    It depends on what your 'experience' is. Seen it and pressed some buttons or been working with it solidly for a number of years. Very different things and you have to be very honest with yourself. If you got a role for a Linux support guy and you are the only one in a messy project can you deal with it alone?

Best way to find if you are ready is to go out there and look. Search the jobsites and look at the job description. If you fit the role exactly.... and I mean exactly.. none of this 'I could turn my hand to that' then fire your CV off and see what comes back. If you are getting a few calls and offers of interviews then you are ready. If you get sod all something is wrong.

I can't stress the point that you have to fit the role exactly with demonstratable experience. Done the course or watched someone do it is no good. You have to hit the ground running from day one. They do not train or give experience to contractors.

If this all sounds like you then go for it. Fire some CV's off and ring some agents. You can always turn the roles down for now secure in the knowledge you are getting interest. If you get nothing you haven't lost any time or cash.

Be well aware of contracting and the risks, particularly around long bench time before you start and read the guides on here.

If you are happy with all this. Hold your nose and jump in!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

15 years Linux experience including server setup, infrastructure, backups (RAID, SAN), shell scripting (perl, python, tcl) , virtual box, web development (apache, mySQL, php, css, html), embedded Linux. I have seen a number of Linux support / developer roles that I know I could do rate ~£350 a day. Do you think I would have a chance of getting anything ?
      Depends where you are located but with good experience like yours I'd say that you're good to go. Maybe spin your CV a bit more towards IT and consider getting RedHat certified. I would say that £350 would be strictly entry level so don't undersell yourself. Confidence is important in this business, if you've got the skills then go for it. Check out itjobswatch for some rates, they are quoting £425/day for Linux, £450 in London. Don't let agencies dick you around because you are a first time contractor.

I presume you're permie at the moment, for a minimum rate to jump to contracting you want permie annual salary / 1000 = hourly rate.

Good luck!
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

well I am based in Cental Scotland. so could work in Glasgow / Edinburgh.

I have often though about Redhat or even Prince2 to go down IT project manager route (infrastructure). I think I need something extra to get my CV noticed and make the break from electronics

Comment

well I am based in Cental Scotland. so could work in Glasgow / Edinburgh.

I have often though about Redhat or even Prince2 to go down IT project manager route (infrastructure). I think I need something extra to get my CV noticed and make the break from electronics
          Unfortunately what get's your CV noticed is experience that is directly related to the role you are applying for. PM'ing is a very tough market to get in to unless you have solid experience but most roles that come up do ask for PRINCE II or some other methodology. Getting that isn't going to harm your chances at all and can be a benefit for any decent role. It's not that expensive so would say give it a pop.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Also make sure your CV can be scanned in a minute and all the important information is immediately to hand.

Took me a rewrite from 4 to 2 pages to start getting a lot of interest for my first contract.

As others have said, target your CV, make the first thing they read Unix rather than electronics. You need to sell your IT skills not your electronics skills. By all means mention the electronics but be prepared if you get to interview to keep the electronics on the back burner and put the emphasis on the IT.

GL, it's worth the move.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Confidence and attitude course. Plus you need to be available.

Most of it is about attitude.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
              X