• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello to all & thanks for having me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello to all & thanks for having me

Hello – Another new kid on the block looking for a job. Actually I’m not really a new kid, more like an old soldier to refuses to die or fade away – or fall over at the bar unless I really have to.

I haven’t been contracting for over 15 years so I’m assuming things have changed a bit, that’s why I’ve signed-up to ContactorUK. There seems to be a lot of good/generous people here who are willing to share their knowledge and experience, something I will need as I go through the motions of finding that elusive contract, setting-up a company, finding the right accountant etc etc etc. Obviously I’m also hoping there will be somebody here who has heard a rumour and can point in the direction of that all-important contract – who knows, I can but hope !

Having read a few notes/comments here I think the biggest change I will have to come to terms with is this IR35 business. Something I will have to investigate further ‘cos what I’ve read so far doesn’t make too much sense in my tiny head.

Again, hello to all and thanks for having me – as they say !

Welcome to the board, Kingsrhere

As soon as you've got yourself settled, make your way over to General, the regulars usually throw a (virtual) house warming party for newbies.

Stock up your fridge...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

did somebody mention a bar ?
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by kingsrhere View Post
        I haven’t been contracting for over 15 years so I’m assuming things have changed a bit
        a) You can't claim expenses anything like the way we could then.
        b) VAT now has a Flat Rate Scheme that makes you a few extra quid.
        c) Yeah, IR35. Bastards. You can tell what a mess this caused, and is still causing, by the amount of (confusing and contradictory) advice there is. Link.
        d) Indirectly, the big consultancies have managed to take most of the contracting market for themselves; and there are now far more people going for fewer contract roles.
        e) Remember how going to the Middle East for a 2 year contract meant you could buy a house when you got back? Just memories, I'm afraid.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Welcome to the board, Kingsrhere

As soon as you've got yourself settled, make your way over to General, the regulars usually throw a (virtual) house warming party for newbies.

Stock up your fridge...
          Thanks, will do. Everytime I stock up my fridge (i.e. my real fridge in my real kitchen) my daughter & her friends get a thirst.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            a) You can't claim expenses anything like the way we could then.
            b) VAT now has a Flat Rate Scheme that makes you a few extra quid.
            c) Yeah, IR35. Bastards. You can tell what a mess this caused, and is still causing, by the amount of (confusing and contradictory) advice there is. Link.
            d) Indirectly, the big consultancies have managed to take most of the contracting market for themselves; and there are now far more people going for fewer contract roles.
            e) Remember how going to the Middle East for a 2 year contract meant you could buy a house when you got back? Just memories, I'm afraid.
            Thanks for the tips. It looks like I've a couple of assumptions to bin and a few things to learn. I suppose I should have guessed that things wouldn't be as good, or as straight forward, as the 'good old days'. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
            X