• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This ratings business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I don't believe thats correct. A grey reputation does mean zero, but it seems to be caused in two ways
    I agree. If both posters leave a comment, you will only see one of them. How do you know if it's the positive or negative one?
    (yes, I know it should be obvious but there is so much piss-taking on here)
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      Right. Now, I know this will be covered elsewhere, but while I've got you....does the number of points you receive from each rep, depend on who has given it? If so, I assume their 'power' is based on, in turn, their points?
      It's a moderately complex formula involving your own reputation level, the length of time you've been registered, and your post count. You also have to have both a post count and a reputation level above a certain value for the reputation you give to count.

Also, negative reputation only has half the power of positive - so, to correct my earlier post, you'd have to have two people of equal power negging you to cancel out one person of that power boosting you (or of course one person negging with twice the power of the person boosting).

Comment

I don't believe thats correct. A grey reputation does mean zero, but it seems to be caused in two ways

1) The poster does not have a high enough post count to have any effect
        2) The poster who repped you is at least two levels below(not confirmed) or is negative (such as Gricerboy - you big loser!).

Not that i've worked anything out or anything...
        I was going by this, which is the bit of code that determines the HTML class used by the CSS to determine which icon to show (Allman/BSD indent style alert):

PHP Code:
        if ($reputation['reputation'] > 0)
        {

$posneg 'pos';
        }
        else if (
        $reputation['reputation'] < 0)
        {

$posneg 'neg';
        }
        else
        {

$posneg 'balance';

As to how it gets to be zero, when somebody posts reputation the score is worked out as I described above and simply added to the existing score (if any) for the relevant post.

Comment

You start with your own bra size.
          I'm going for definition, not moobs.
          Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

NickFitz is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              I was going by this, which is the bit of code that determines the HTML class used by the CSS to determine which icon to show (Allman/BSD indent style alert):

PHP Code:
              if ($reputation['reputation'] > 0)
              {

$posneg 'pos';
              }
              else if (
              $reputation['reputation'] < 0)
              {

$posneg 'neg';
              }
              else
              {

$posneg 'balance';

As to how it gets to be zero, when somebody posts reputation the score is worked out as I described above and simply added to the existing score (if any) for the relevant post.
              But that will only relate to the post Nick, not in the Settings. The setting should show each individual rep with associated points & colour. It won't sum up there.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                NickFitz is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                Geek Points are back
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

But that will only relate to the post Nick, not in the Settings. The setting should show each individual rep with associated points & colour. It won't sum up there.
                  Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, scrub what I said earlier: as far as I can see from a quick glance through the relevant function, an individual reputation-giving event will have a score of zero (and therefore display as grey) if the user:
                  1. Cannot give reputation - this is false for all registered users;
                  2. Does not have a high enough post count to give reputation;
                  3. Does not have a high enough reputation to give reputation.

Comment

Thanks all, I don't understand a lot of that, but I've got a slightly better idea now. Ish.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Has anyone answered this question yet?

How do I see someone else's rating?
                      I'd never noticed the ratings before...
                      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                      X