• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie to contract question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie to contract question

Hi,

After over 10 years working as a permie I'm looking to jump ship and start contracting.
    My experience has been mostly with the main investment banks - C++, J2SE/J2EE, fully agile,
    Spring, Hibernate, blah blah blah plus a strong academic history.

I currently manage a team of 10 developers and I suppose my initial view on what happens
    next would be for me to manage more people and get further from the technology, which is
    the really interesting part of the job for me.

I now have an 8 week old daughter and the prospect of working longer hours with more
    responsibility is the last thing I want to do. I'm sure this echoes with most
    of you here.

I did contract 6 years ago, briefly, for a new media startup so I'm not totally green
    but wanted to get a few pointers from you guys as to how easy it will be for me to make this
    transition. My view (rightly or wrongly) is that it's much easier to land contracting jobs with a
    strong and varied contracting history. Which makes sense. How receptive do you think
    companies will be to someone in my position who is strong technically?

Cheers,

-j

Unless you get acontract a few miles from home you can expect to be travelling rather than working those extra hours. It takes me 2 hours door-to-door (1hr 15mtrain journey) and it takes some people a damn sight longer than that. If my journey is over 3 hrs I'll stay over. And I still work long hours when the project is about to go live. Irrespective of your technical questions, don't imagine that contracting is the 'easy' option, particularly if you're a project manager...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Unless you get acontract a few miles from home you can expect to be travelling rather than working those extra hours. It takes me 2 hours door-to-door (1hr 15mtrain journey) and it takes some people a damn sight longer than that. If my journey is over 3 hrs I'll stay over. And I still work long hours when the project is about to go live. Irrespective of your technical questions, don't imagine that contracting is the 'easy' option, particularly if you're a project manager...
      WSS
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
      X