• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Transitioning to Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm at a big 4 consulting firm and am contemplating a move into contracting (as a BA) and have started taking tentative steps in identifying potential roles.

I have a 13 week notice period with my current employer so clearly it'll be very challenging to find contracting roles which could accomodate such a long lead time.

I'm hesitant to resign without having a contracting job lined but with the long lead time it seems like a catch 22 situation at the moment.

Any advise would be helpful.

Specifically on whether attempting to source a contract role and request early release of my existing contract is an advisable course of action (i.e. do big 4 firms have a history of playing hard-ball or are they likely to be accomodating)

Thanks.

Originally posted by Joxer View Post
    I'm at a big 4 consulting firm and am contemplating a move into contracting (as a BA) and have started taking tentative steps in identifying potential roles.

I have a 13 week notice period with my current employer so clearly it'll be very challenging to find contracting roles which could accomodate such a long lead time.

I'm hesitant to resign without having a contracting job lined but with the long lead time it seems like a catch 22 situation at the moment.

Any advise would be helpful.

Specifically on whether attempting to source a contract role and request early release of my existing contract is an advisable course of action (i.e. do big 4 firms have a history of playing hard-ball or are they likely to be accomodating)

Thanks.
    Hi and welcome.

Sometimes there is no choice.

I also needed to work 3 months notice in my perm role and was "forced" to leave without a contract to go to, because as you say most clients won't wait 3 months, although most are willing to wait a month.

Took me 3 months after leaving to get a contract, but I was being quite picky about the industry and role i was looking for.

Not sure about early release though if a contract does come up. Depends on the reliance on you I expect

GL in your search.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Transitioning

Why do business types always insist on using the word transition as a verb? Welcome, by the way

Comment

to transition your role to another consultant

Comment

Originally posted by Joxer View Post
          You may want to rethink the idea of contracting then. Remember a contract is only guaranteed to be as long as the notice period they have to give you (And not even that a lot of the time)...

Comment

I would test the market by contracting up my CV - make assignments look like separate jobs/roles/projects to imply flexibility and range of experience, highlight improvements you helped to introduce (if any) - Don't lie and make them look like separate employers but break them down by date.
            Then - Start applying for roles you can find on job boards, you MUST make yourself seem available, even if it's not true, tell them the function is closing etc etc. IF you are getting offered interviews (plural would be nice) then you can be reassured your skills are in demand if you decide to jump (and vice versa !) IF these turn into offers, a lot of employers will be prepared to let you leave unless you are in a critical stage of work - talk to the highest up person you know.
            Secondly - I hope you have been making good contacts while at the sweatshop, there are many senior people who are ex-consultancy, use linked-in if you don't know them well enough to phone. Mate scored £850/day + expenses + wfh fridays at a big oil co because his ex consultancy boss was their CIO and knew his consultancy rate was 1200/day !!!
            Be certain you want to jump, it can be awful cold in here !

Comment

Just a quick post to say a big thanks for all of the above for their advice.

I did indeed take the plunge and after relatively smooth negotiations with my previous employer and a successful first contract interview I've now manage to rack up 6 months in the contracting game with very few battle scars to speak of.

I got a day rate I'm happy with and with reduced work hours I feel like I've got my life back again.

Great forum btw, a credit to all it's contributors.

Comment

You don't transition. You evolve in to contracting
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  You don't transition. You evolve in to contracting
                  No you don't.

You don't transition. You fall into contracting.

HTH
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    No you don't.

You don't transition. You fall into contracting.

HTH
                    WHS, and then pretend all along it was deliberate when really you should be working on the checkouts in Tesco.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X