• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Receiving payments in crypto

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Receiving payments in crypto

Hi,

I'm planning to work/contracting for crypto companies doing, I haven't done any contracting before, I have been going through how contracting works at the moment.
    More often the crypto outfits do not have any address or location and I would be paid in crypto (USDC) I would have to get that into GBP myself.

I guess there will not be any umbrells company option as I do not them handling crypto side of things.

But would like to know if anyone has experience doing something like this.

If I have to do it my self I would have to do the follwoing,
    - Contracting through Ltd company
    - Company does the crypto handling by having business crypto account
    Does this make sense?

For someone whol only got paid till now through PAYE this looks very complex.

Would greatly appreciate if someone can point me in right direction.

Cheers

Do you currently have a solid contract offer from a company, or is this ‘I would like to work for a crypto company’ type question?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Nothing concrete at the moment, but close.

Comment

Originally posted by ram1244 View Post
        Hi,

I'm planning to work/contracting for crypto companies doing, I haven't done any contracting before, I have been going through how contracting works at the moment.
        More often the crypto outfits do not have any address or location and I would be paid in crypto (USDC) I would have to get that into GBP myself.

I guess there will not be any umbrells company option as I do not them handling crypto side of things.

But would like to know if anyone has experience doing something like this.

If I have to do it my self I would have to do the follwoing,
        - Contracting through Ltd company
        - Company does the crypto handling by having business crypto account
        Does this make sense?

For someone whol only got paid till now through PAYE this looks very complex.

Would greatly appreciate if someone can point me in right direction.

Cheers
        Have you actually read what you have written?!

Comment

Please read the rules of this forum Greg…
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Can't help you on the mechanics, but it sounds pretty risky to me. Perhaps treat it as pocket money and don't expect to get paid in extremis. None of these crypto platforms is infallible, you have none of the protections of an FSCS-registered bank and crypto mainly behaves like 17th century tulip bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by ram1244 View Post

A couple of things to consider, especially since you're new to contracting:

* Although the crypto company might not have an office, they'll still have a registered address somewhere. Is that in the UK or overseas?
              * If they're in the US (with no UK presence), you'll need to look at W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E forms.
              * If they're in the UK, someone will need to look at IR35. (Potentially you, if they're a small company.) Do you know what type of work you'll be doing?
              * Do you have to be paid in crypto? Presumably the company pays other bills using traditional currency (e.g. their web hosting). If I had McDonalds as a client, I wouldn't want to be paid in burgers.

Comment

Hmm interesting thread...

USDC is pegged to the dollar, so why wouldn't they just pay you in dollars? Maybe they're hardcore blockchain guys, but it doesn't seem a big ask if they're a legit company, which brings me onto the other thought, is it "washed" proceeds, hence the USDC.

Comment

Working...
                X