• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newb and newb questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newb and newb questions

Good Evening!

I've wanted to go contracting in IT for several years now, I didn't think I was ever good enough but I've another round of contractor interviews over the last month and again the quality was poor and I've realised I'd be better than all those I've interviewed/technical tested (believe me I'm normally a very modest person!). I've read the first timer guides I've been lurking around the forums for awhile now.

I've spoken to five contractors I know and none of them except one seem to be worried about about the up and coming changes!. The one says that it's best to stay in permie roles as he believes that a lot of contractors will become permies again. I also chatted to an agency thats meant to be good at getting first timers a contract and they said dont worry about it either - but agencies make commission, so I dont know if I can trust them.

My plan was to go limited as I already have a second house and was going to increase the number of properties over time.

I just can't work out whether or not I should be worried about the changes to contract work and or IR35. I think I've got paralysis through analysis now! Should I be worried or am I over thinking this?

Thank you for any advice/opinions that you can offer me!

Regards,

Dave.

Originally posted by WRBI View Post
    I've spoken to five contractors I know and none of them except one seem to be worried about about the up and coming changes!. The one says that it's best to stay in permie roles as he believes that a lot of contractors will become permies again.
    You've got to appreciate a large number of contractors haven't a clue about what they are and what they do. They just get their head down and act like disguised permies. The public sector was a great example of how many people didn't have a clue what was coming and even after the event we had people asking what happened. Not to be even slightly worried about what's coming in the next few years is a red flag for me.
    I also chatted to an agency thats meant to be good at getting first timers a contract and they said dont worry about it either - but agencies make commission, so I dont know if I can trust them.
    No such thing as an agency that are good at placing first timers. They get what clients they can and body shop in to them to make their commission. That's it. The only people agents care about is themselves. Don't trust them.

My plan was to go limited as I already have a second house and was going to increase the number of properties over time.
    What have your houses got to do with planning to go limited? It's generally not a good idea to BTL through the company so shouldn't be a decision point.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X