• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ancient IT bloke seeks work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient IT bloke seeks work

Hello all

I am 63 years old and have been pretty much employed and working with code of one sort or another since 1971.

Recently found myself jobless for the first time in 11 years, after having been unceremoniously constructively dismissed (with a small financial cushion).

It's a long story, but it all started at the interview where my boss's boss decided I should be employed but my line manager-to-be wasn't at all sure.

Back story: I was a contractor (first operator then programmer on and off) from 1978 to 2007.

I then took two permie jobs... the second one out of desperation at the attitude of the first employers. As others may have remarked on here, nobody these days wants anybody giving the benefits of their experience to a younger manager, even if they say at the interview that that is part of the role.

I'd like to build a dialog(ue) with any other oldies who find themselves in a similar position to I, and discuss "where do we go from here".

I'll confess right now: I never kept my skills up to date, so it seems I deserve this, and it's only right and proper.

Thanks for your time

V00n

Hi welcome to the forum.

Originally posted by Clifford View Post
    Back story: I was a contractor (first operator then programmer on and off) from 1978 to 2007.
    Just a question you contracted in the good times before all the crap we put up with now, do you not have a nice nest egg/pension? Are you not ready to put your feet up and not have to worry about relevant skills etc?

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
      Hi welcome to the forum.

Just a question you contracted in the good times before all the crap we put up with now, do you not have a nice nest egg/pension? Are you not ready to put your feet up and not have to worry about relevant skills etc?

qh
      some of us oldies spent most of the money on sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll.
      and squandered the rest

Comment

but seriously, mainframe? applications or engineering? or unix? same question.
        put yourself on linkedin, search on jobserve and network like feck.
        jobs are thin on the ground for mainframe, but when they do come up, they pay well 'cos we're all dead or retired <or semi-retired>

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          but seriously, mainframe? applications or engineering? or unix? same question.
          put yourself on linkedin, search on jobserve and network like feck.
          jobs are thin on the ground for mainframe, but when they do come up, they pay well 'cos we're all dead or retired <or semi-retired>
          A lot of traditional banking and insurance companies are still very mainframe dependent, so there may be some sort of openings here for you to target.

Comment

I would dispute the word "old". I've got a few years on you and am still working. Main difference is I don't need the money and only work when I want to and where I want to and am completely relaxed about not having a contract at all. Otherwise I have plenty else to be getting on with.

If you're doing it for the money then you've got it wrong somewhere along the line but you ain't gong to fix that now. Far better to find better and more fulfilling things to do with your life (remember that?) and take work when (and if) it's available.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
            X