• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HI! :-) Details of my current position. Please can you help?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HI! :-) Details of my current position. Please can you help?

Hello all,

A fan of this useful website so I joined.

Recently my full-time perm work went uncertain and now I am exploring my options (including contracting) or travel or do both or jump back into perm again.
    • In my early 30's with no kids / marriage
    • Live near London where my mortgage is £500 a month
    • My IT skill-set is in demand where I see contract rates between £300-£500 in London and UK
    • I am fully certified and up to date in my software knowledge
    • My pre-tax salary used to be £51k
    • I live a fairly frugal lifestyle
    • I won a competition so got £4k in cash
    • My monthly outgoings are around £1,700 after paying all the bills
    • I have good contacts and colleagues who have succeeded in contracting doing what I do with less qualifications

I am in a position to have a 'break' where I can do what I want for a few months and I don't have to worry if I don't get a contract for a month or two.

But I am looking to see if contracting for a while would be the right thing based on my situation.

My goal for a year or two is to:
    • Take the foot off the pedal work wise and relax a little
    • Travel - maybe work 8-9 months and travel 3 months
    • Work on my fitness by regularly going to gym (something I haven't been able to do through this stressful year)
    • Financially - if I make a little more than I earned through contracting as I did as a permie then I am happy

My worries are:
    • I worry if I am passing up permie opportunities with good pay.
    • I worry I constantly work and work and life is passing me by and my mental and physical health could do with improving by relaxing a little

What should I do in this position? Should I dip my toes into contracting?

Originally posted by ChrisHadfield View Post
    My goal for a year or two is to:
    • Take the foot off the pedal work wise and relax a little
    • Travel - maybe work 8-9 months and travel 3 months
    • Work on my fitness by regularly going to gym (something I haven't been able to do through this stressful year)
    • Financially - if I make a little more than I earned through contracting as I did as a permie then I am happy
    Contracting won't really help the first two points, and possibly the 3rd. You've got to take the work when it comes up and where it comes up. It could be a bitch of a commute or even stay away from home. You are also going to have to save a warchest up so can't really take your foot of the pedal. It will probably also kill any travelling plans you have as you have to see the contracts through and think about getting another. A stint on the bench will deplete the war chest and you will be having to chase your tail, not taking lots of time off.

You are a newbie so bottom of the pile for getting gigs and the odd gig with 3 months break isn't going to work well for you at all.

My worries are:
    • I worry if I am passing up permie opportunities with good pay.
    • I worry I constantly work and work and life is passing me by and my mental and physical health could do with improving by relaxing a little

What should I do in this position? Should I dip my toes into contracting?
    If you worry this much then I'd say no to contracting. You are going to have to worry potentially every three months when the gig ends and you have to sit there with no income waiting for the next piece of work. Could be straight away but could be many months off. You don't where it will be, for who, for how much etc.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I don't think that is the case.

Humans are adaptable, I can adapt. You sound very negative.

Comment

I don't think that is the case.

Humans are adaptable, I can adapt. You sound very negative.
        Says the worrying guy......

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Says the worrying guy......
          You're a waste of time reading your replies to others. All you do is be negative towards other people.

What's the point?

Comment

You're a waste of time reading your replies to others. All you do is be negative towards other people.

What's the point?
            On balance NLUK gives out some pretty good advice and I like to think of his comments as being more of a realist than being overly negative.

If you're really positive everything will work out then just go for it. As a contractor though you do have to plan for the inevitable lean patches. I've been lucky in contracting in never being out of work for more than a couple of months unless I've genuinely chosen to. However, you have to accept that at times you could be out of work for 6+ months just because the market is diabolical or for numerous other reasons.

Comment

What's the point?
              I don't do warm cuddley posts and tell people it will be OK. I focus on the problems and what's wrong. If you can fix/avoid the problems there will be no surprises and the good will come naturally. Sorry if you don't like that style.

Comment

What's the point?
                I could have posted you a post like NLUK's and added links but I didn't bother.

NLUK is painting you a bad but not the worse case scenario. I personally know contractors who couldn't get contracts for over a year. In their cases they had high earning partners so it wasn't the end of the world. However there is a thread on here about a guy in his dressing grown who was ended up struggling on benefits before he ended up with a contract. He did look for permanent work but had no luck.

If you are a worrier then you will end up more stressed contracting.

The way you have written your first post indicates you have to bounce your ideas around and/or seek approval from others. When you are a contractor the only people you can do that with is maybe a partner, and/or a few close friends/siblings in a similar situation. Though some people don't have any of that.

Either way you need to be able to get on with it.
                Last edited by SueEllen; 29 October 2017, 22:59.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  I could have posted you a post like NLUK's and added links but I didn't bother.

NLUK is painting you a bad but not the worse case scenario. I personally know contractors who couldn't get contracts for over a year. In their cases they had high earning partners so it wasn't the end of the world. However there is a thread on here about a guy in his dressing grown who was ended up struggling on benefits before he ended up with a contract. He did look for permanent work but had no luck.

If you are a worrier then you will end up more stressed contracting.

The way you have written your first post indicates you have to bounce your ideas around and/or seek approval from others. When you are a contractor the only people you can do that with is maybe a partner, and/or a few close friends/siblings in a similar situation. Though some people don't have any of that.

Either way you need to be able to get on with it.
                  That is a very constructive feedback. Thank you.

You might be right, I like to get feedback from experienced people to help make an informed decision.

I think I need to research a bit more before I jump in.

Comment

You sound very negative.
                    You should meet his accountant.....

Comment

Working...
                    X