• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bench Time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bench Time

Finished 14 months contract ( 1st Contract from permie) as a PM

Finding difficult to find second contract, been on the bench for 5 months rolling , no income coming,
    6 months warchest is running low.

Need some advice go permie or stay contracting in the gloom and doom of IR35 contracting - public sector.

Advice please - newbie

Probably this thread should be moved to welcome.

Do you have any dependants? What sector are you in? What skills do you have?

Any responses without knowing those would be very difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Probably this thread should be moved to welcome.
      Done
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Esso View Post
        Finished 14 months contract ( 1st Contract from permie) as a PM

Finding difficult to find second contract, been on the bench for 5 months rolling , no income coming,
        6 months warchest is running low.

Need some advice go permie or stay contracting in the gloom and doom of IR35 contracting - public sector.

Advice please - newbie
        Why limit yourself to public sector?

Personally I have found the last three months quiet, but starting to get calls every day now.

How are you searching? Are you updating your CV and re-uploading every week to refresh to the top of the pile? How is your CV looking? What is the relationship with recruiters to call? Have you updated LinkedIn to say you are actively looking?

Sort out the above and I guarantee a new role soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
          Why limit yourself to public sector?

Personally I have found the last three months quiet, but starting to get calls every day now.

How are you searching? Are you updating your CV and re-uploading every week to refresh to the top of the pile? How is your CV looking? What is the relationship with recruiters to call? Have you updated LinkedIn to say you are actively looking?

Sort out the above and I guarantee a new role soon.
          Also making sure that your profiles on Jobserve/Jobsite/CV Library/etc are showing you as active and searchable. Might also be worth reaching out to your LinkedIn network highlighting what you're looking for and how you can add value to prospective clients (either them or anyone they know).

Finally when applying to any roles online assume that your application will probably be ignored unless you follow up promptly with the recruiter in question - when I was last looking I was actually told in as many words by a number of people that "we get so many applications that we only really follow through on the ones we speak to" or more positively "seeing as you took the trouble to call me let's have a chat about the role now"

Apologies if you've already done all this and I'm stating the obvious - hope that helps and best of luck!
          Last edited by CatOnMat; 26 October 2017, 14:25.

Comment

Originally posted by CatOnMat View Post

Finally when applying to any roles online assume that your application will probably be ignored unless you follow up promptly with the recruiter in question - when I was last looking I was actually told in as many words by a number of people that "we get so many applications that we only really follow through on the ones we speak to" or more positively "seeing as you took the trouble to call me let's have a chat about the role now"
            To add to the above - if you have in demand skills and not suitable for the role the agent will still have a chat with you. Make sure you ask them to contact you if any suitable roles come up. Even if you end up getting a contract elsewhere, doing it with a few agents can secure you a contract sometime in the future.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              To add to the above - if you have in demand skills and not suitable for the role the agent will still have a chat with you. Make sure you ask them to contact you if any suitable roles come up. Even if you end up getting a contract elsewhere, doing it with a few agents can secure you a contract sometime in the future.
              You'd assume he hasn't with 5 months on the bench already....
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Bench Time

Thanks for all your constructive advice, have managed all the above keeping the cv updated in the last 5 months.

Th Job sites/Indeed/ Jobserve, IT board etc

My expertise lies in project management , systems implementation, Project delivery.

Comment

Thanks for all your constructive advice, have managed all the above keeping the cv updated in the last 5 months.

My expertise lies in project management , systems implementation, Project delivery.
                  Looks like you will have to do both a national and European wide search for roles. Just make sure you check out the tax regime for a variety of countries.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'd start looking a bit closer to home for the problem. There are plenty of PM gigs going around and must have been 100's go through jobserve in 5 months surely?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X