• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First contract question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First contract question

Hi,

I'm a stay at home dad and I've been programming a raspberry PI for fun.

I seem to have an aptitude for this.

My other half suggested I become a software developer and work from home on a freelance basis.

What would be the steps to get there from my starting point.

I must emphase, I am a talented beginner, age 47.

Thanks,

Tone

Firstly, determine whether there is a market for your skills.

Secondly, determine whether you can sell your skills in that market - will there be lots of competition, and if so how will you ensure that you are better marketed than the rest?

Thirdly, if you think that this is viable then read the first timers guide over on the right hand side and the IPSE guide to freelancing (available here)

Then see where to go from there.

Good luck
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Firstly, determine whether there is a market for your skills.

Secondly, determine whether you can sell your skills in that market - will there be lots of competition, and if so how will you ensure that you are better marketed than the rest?

Thirdly, if you think that this is viable then read the first timers guide over on the right hand side and the IPSE guide to freelancing (available here)

Then see where to go from there.

Good luck
      He missed one: make sure you can write commercially viable code to an acceptable standard. There's a long way from domestic apps to ones that do stuff in the real world in a multi-user environment, so do some reading on maintainability and BCP (not DR) as a starter for 10.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        make sure you can write commercially viable code to an acceptable standard.
        Now he tells me!

Comment

Originally posted by tonythepony View Post
          Hi,

I'm a stay at home dad and I've been programming a raspberry PI for fun.

I seem to have an aptitude for this.

My other half suggested I become a software developer and work from home on a freelance basis.

What would be the steps to get there from my starting point.

I must emphase, I am a talented beginner, age 47.

Thanks,

Tone
          Hi Tone, if you can write a chess program, you're all set for success.
          If you can't, you'll be a bottom-feeder for the rest of your life.
          I suspect if you're 47 though, it's too late
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            I suspect if you're 47 though, it's too late
            Some people can't even spell "suspect" correctly when they are in their 50s - what hope have they got?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X