• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short Intro Just To Say Hi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Intro Just To Say Hi

Hi All,

I've been given my formal notice of voluntary redundancy, and currently working my 3 month notice and finish at the end of October.

To be honest I always wanted to enter the contracting world but I did not want to leave my permanent job without a pay off. I am single and no one bringing in an additional wage so I have to careful with my decisions.

But now I will have a warchest behind me, but want to find my first contract quickly although when I leave the job market will be slowing down due to the holiday period.

It will be an interesting challenge but one that I will take on, i'm hoping a few of my contacts will help but ultimately I need to drive it.

I currently work in Banking, a Project Manager at present but I do not want to continue is this role. Before I was an Implementation Manager and been in IT for 8 years. A plethora of experience and looking for a different role maybe PMO...we will see.

Welcome CUK

IMO going contracting is perfect if you are single. It is worse if you have dependants.

Have you read the first timers guide(on the right)?

Comment

Originally posted by Saffie8511 View Post
      Hi All,

I've been given my formal notice of voluntary redundancy, and currently working my 3 month notice and finish at the end of October.

To be honest I always wanted to enter the contracting world but I did not want to leave my permanent job without a pay off. I am single and no one bringing in an additional wage so I have to careful with my decisions.

But now I will have a warchest behind me, but want to find my first contract quickly although when I leave the job market will be slowing down due to the holiday period.

It will be an interesting challenge but one that I will take on, i'm hoping a few of my contacts will help but ultimately I need to drive it.

I currently work in Banking, a Project Manager at present but I do not want to continue is this role. Before I was an Implementation Manager and been in IT for 8 years. A plethora of experience and looking for a different role maybe PMO...we will see.

Good luck. However, you may have made a wrong move. Contracting in the UK is on the way out due to the new taxation regulations and downturn of the economy. I would suggest learning German and contract in Germany or Switzerland.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Welcome CUK

IMO going contracting is perfect if you are single. It is worse if you have dependants.

Have you read the first timers guide(on the right)?
        Yes I have thanks, it's a lot to take in and my notice period is gettung shorter and shorter...

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Good luck. However, you may have made a wrong move. Contracting in the UK is on the way out due to the new taxation regulations and downturn of the economy. I would suggest learning German and contract in Germany or Switzerland.
          Interesting theory, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's on the way out. The economy always has it's ups and downs but London is still a very strong financially.

Comment

Originally posted by Saffie8511 View Post
            Interesting theory, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's on the way out. The economy always has it's ups and downs but London is still a very strong financially.
            He's not just talking about the economy, but the change in taxation rules that mean contractor take home pay is dropping through the floor.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              He's not just talking about the economy, but the change in taxation rules that mean contractor take home pay is dropping through the floor.
              Okay well I saw VR as an opportunity and still do, currently i'm not happy so couldnt see myself continuing as I am so its a welcome change. We will see what happens at the time.

Comment

VR can be a good opportunity to re-evaluate your life. Consider all options and take your time to make an informed decision.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Erm.. You've been notice you are being made voluntarily redundant? Someone 'suggested' I took VR when it happened to me so I got an employment lawyer to point out to them that's not how it worked and got 50% on my package. Maybe you applied and I'm just reading it wrong but if there has been any hint you must do it I'd follow that up.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X