• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello All - Need advice on career path

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello All - Need advice on career path

Hi All,

New to the forum and hope to get some helpful advice here.
    So basically i'm currently working for one of the top consulting firm in the uk and getting underpaid from my feelings.
    Now I've approached by a recruiting agency about a potential contracting offer for 6 months with a chance to go perm after that.
    Being 28, i wonder if i should consider this offer as it is 6 months.

Is there also anything i should be aware of in terms of the contract and starting a career path of contracting if i proceed?

Welcome to CUK.

Sadly some agents(okay most!) lie. They might just want your CV. The question is, do you want to apply elsewhere? And if you do, do you want to go contracting or stay permanent?

Quite a lot of changes to do with public sector contracting at the moment. And Brexit makes the outlook uncertain. So lets say you get a contract. It might last 6 months then you can't get something else for ages.

For those who live frugally and build up a "warchest" contracting is a great life. It frees you from office politics. There is more money. However, there is more paperwork and you have to be on the ball about a lot of stuff. Have a look through the first timers guide(3rd link down on right hand menu) and you will get an idea.

The very best of luck.

Comment

I definitely want to apply elsewhere though i do like the security of permanent but contracting has always come up on my mind as well. It's mostly the fear of being unemployed after the contract ends.
      The contract will be with one of the big 4, one of my colleagues recently accepted and i've been offered the same. Though i want some opinions from contractors.
      I just feel 6 months is a bit short?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Welcome to CUK.

Sadly some agents(okay most!) lie. They might just want your CV. The question is, do you want to apply elsewhere? And if you do, do you want to go contracting or stay permanent?

Quite a lot of changes to do with public sector contracting at the moment. And Brexit makes the outlook uncertain. So lets say you get a contract. It might last 6 months then you can't get something else for ages.

For those who live frugally and build up a "warchest" contracting is a great life. It frees you from office politics. There is more money. However, there is more paperwork and you have to be on the ball about a lot of stuff. Have a look through the first timers guide(3rd link down on right hand menu) and you will get an idea.

The very best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryukami View Post
        I definitely want to apply elsewhere though i do like the security of permanent but contracting has always come up on my mind as well. It's mostly the fear of being unemployed after the contract ends.
        The contract will be with one of the big 4, one of my colleagues recently accepted and i've been offered the same. Though i want some opinions from contractors.
        I just feel 6 months is a bit short?
        It could be shorter if the project you are working on falls through.

6 months length is a lot for a consultancy.
        I have been in the position where they have been buying singular weeks at a time for example.
        This, obviously, cost them quite a bit more money
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

So basically i'm currently working for one of the top consulting firm in the uk and getting underpaid from my feelings.
          I wish I was paid for my feelings. I'm paid for blood sweat and tears.

Now I've approached by a recruiting agency about a potential contracting offer for 6 months with a chance to go perm after that.

Is there also anything i should be aware of in terms of the contract and starting a career path of contracting if i proceed?
          Don't be pushed by agents. They'll see you through this and drop you like a brick. If you aren't ready and prepared for the change then your worst nightmares will come to fruition. An offer is nothing unless it's signed. On top of that contract to perm is just a way for getting your services for a short time in which they can ditch you on the spot if you aren't what they want or no longer need you. In contracting if you get let in the door in a morning you are good. That's about it. We should never commit to anything beyond the contract at best, the end of the day at worst. I'd put a lot of money on the that perm role disappearing or being as badly paid as you are now. Worse than that even if it is a step up you'll be loving the contractor rate so much you won't be able to take the drop.

I can't help you are a bit young at 28. I've met some really smart guys that age and I know there are some young contractors on here but still... You've only got a finite amount of experience and there will be much more experienced guys out there.

Sounds like a no goer all round on the face of what I am reading.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi All,

New to the forum and hope to get some helpful advice here.

All that means is that it's a perm job elsewhere with a well-paid probation. You'll probably be inside IR35 so will be on full tax with no benefits - no sick pay, holiday pay, etc. They think you're an ideal fit *FOR THEM* - odds are it's for someone a bit junior to what you've done and you look better than the dross they've seen so far.

Do you want to move jobs to move firm or are you happy with the firm but want to make progress? Have a think about that before leaving.

Oh and don't start sentences with "so basically" unless you work in Shoreditch, pay £5 for a bowl of cereal and have a beard.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

6 months period really looks short to me .. I would prefer to wait for a while and try some more options.

Comment

Hi All,

I used to work for a large, prestigious management and technology consultancy when I just turned 30. After two years, I too felt that I was being underpaid and I ended up going to another much smaller consultancy. In total I spent 5 years in consulting working for about a dozen clients in several industry sectors. It was this experience that provided a real foundation for me to go contracting - another 10 years later.

Without knowing your field of expertise, you are perhaps too young to go into contracting and if you are at a top consultancy, I would stay there for the development and experience. Today's contracting market is tough and you may find it hard to break into it and more importantly sustain it at only 28.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                  I used to work for a large, prestigious management and technology consultancy when I just turned 30. After two years, I too felt that I was being underpaid and I ended up going to another much smaller consultancy. In total I spent 5 years in consulting working for about a dozen clients in several industry sectors. It was this experience that provided a real foundation for me to go contracting - another 10 years later.

Without knowing your field of expertise, you are perhaps too young to go into contracting and if you are at a top consultancy, I would stay there for the development and experience. Today's contracting market is tough and you may find it hard to break into it and more importantly sustain it at only 28.
                  Where were you three weeks ago when this was needed?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by maya View Post
                    6 months period really looks short to me .. I would prefer to wait for a while and try some more options.
                    You must be a total noob then, even a month contract can be canned on day one or even before you set foot on site....

Contact periods are worth nowt...

Comment

Working...
                    X