• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello! New to forum and contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello! New to forum and contracting

Hi all,

I've just been made redundant with a load of money so decided to jump into contracting with a ltd co.

I've been lurking about here since early December when I started to think about contracting and have read a lot of advice.

I think the main points I learned are ask my accountant and don't trust them!

It was here I learned about the changes to the FRS so have decided to register for standard VAT.

I look forward to learning a lot more and hopefully contributing to discussions.

Hello and welcome to CUK cygnus!

If you haven't already, take a look at the First Time's Guide on the left.

There's loads to keep you occupied for an hour or two
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Welcome and you are learning fast 😀
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Hello and welcome to CUK cygnus!

If you haven't already, take a look at the First Time's Guide on the left.

There's loads to keep you occupied for an hour or two
        Thanks and I've read a lot of the guides there and keep referring back to them.
        I even spent most of a weekend reading everything I could find about IR35 on here and ended up with a fried brain so needed to give it a rest

Comment

Originally posted by cygnus View Post
          Thanks and I've read a lot of the guides there and keep referring back to them.
          I even spent most of a weekend reading everything I could find about IR35 on here and ended up with a fried brain so needed to give it a rest
          Also take a look around IPSE's site (www.ipse.co.uk) if you haven't already and download their guide to freelancing: it will give you a slightly wider view of the whole 'working for yourself' world.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Also take a look around IPSE's site (www.ipse.co.uk) if you haven't already and download their guide to freelancing: it will give you a slightly wider view of the whole 'working for yourself' world.
            Thanks. I missed that one and surprised because I've looked at IPSE's site. I possibly thought it would be repeating a lot of what I read before but there is some new useful info in it.

Comment

Originally posted by cygnus View Post
              Thanks. I missed that one and surprised because I've looked at IPSE's site. I possibly thought it would be repeating a lot of what I read before but there is some new useful info in it.
              There's a few IPSE members here. If you choose to join, there's a referral code that any one of us can give that will give you 15% off your first year's membership

Comment

Technically you're not a contractor until you've got your first contract. I wouldn't bother setting anything up until you've got very close to a contract - ltd companies can be set up very quickly.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                X