• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

starting IT contractor :)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting IT contractor :)

Hi everyone, I'd like to start as contractor next year and I'm trying to get as much information as possible before to start I hope in your help!
    I have just few questions:
    - do I need of an accountant if I think to earn less than 50k per year?
    - what I have to do exaclty before to start working?
    thanks
    C

First Timers Guide on the right hand side is your starting point. Read up as much as you can and then the forum will be happy (well most of them...) to answer any queries you have.

Comment

What ^ says but you do need an accountant unless you know what you are doing. It's not worth the pain to get it wrong
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

While I'd say look at the first timers guides and all that.. others have given you that advice.

Mine is more tongue in cheek. If you're going into IT contracting as a software developer ask yourself the following:
        • Do you have a mate called Tarquin running a recruitment agency in the city who can get you some nice cushty gigs?
        • Do you have over 10 years' experience?
        • Are you under 30?
        • Have you kept your nose clean - a number of roles of over a couple of years apiece?
        • Do you have every possible buzzword on your CV?
        • Can you handle rejection by recruitment agents/agencies?
        • Are you really going to be a contractor or a pseudo permie? If pseudo permie or working in the Public Sector - have you considered IR35?
        • Can you handle members of this forum? Accept that asking some questions on this forum will incur the wrath of the regulars who may opine with gems such as "Have you asked your accountant?", "Send in a subbie", "You're so far inside IR35 it's untrue"...
        Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 22 October 2016, 09:06.

Comment

Contracting doesn't work like this. You are responsible for your own business now. It varies per role and there are so many twists and turns. It might seem like a simple question to you but it's impossible for us to even begin to give you something useful. You can't be a tick box contractor because you are going to get unstuck every time there is a slight change.

What you need to do is start doing your own research and understand all the situations so that you can apply them each time. The newbie guides to the right has masses of very good information and there are plenty of other new contractor guides on the web.

Start with all of these and then come back with some more specific questions we can start to answer.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Actually I would suggest you also learn how to use Google to search this forum. And if you don't know how to use Google to search forums then Google it.

Only after reading the first timers guide and Googling come here and ask questions. In your question state the info you have looked up. That way you are less likely to get rude replies from other posters.

Finally be aware that law isn't black and white but if you get lots of forum members telling you "No" to a question then accept the answer.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

First step - go to www.ipse.co.uk and download their Guide to Freelancing and study it. Then read the guides listed on the right. Then you will have some idea of what you need to know. Then you need to understand how much real world experience you can bring to the market. then you can start making a decision.

Contracting is not an easy world and it's getting harder. So prepare as much as you can.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by acuk View Post
                Hi everyone, I'd like to start as contractor next year and I'm trying to get as much information as possible before to start I hope in your help!
                I have just few questions:
                - do I need of an accountant if I think to earn less than 50k per year?
                thanks
                C
                Umm, figure out if there is a market for your skills that you can compete in, would a starter for 10

Comment

Working...
                X