• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State of the market

Hi All,

I'm an ex-Contractor thinking about returning to the market. Long story short, I contracted either side of Y2K, then took a permie job due to family commitments, young kids growing up and so on (oh and IR35). That lasted 15 years or so. However I'm at a crossroads due to redundancy. I'm thinking of going back contracting. The question is, what's the state of the market? I'm a DBA by trade, so Oracle, SQL Server. I can see that the Oracle market has collapsed from a permie point of view, SQL Server is buoyant. Ideally I want to work in or around Manchester. Not keen on London - don't want to work away.

Anyone got any insight? Is the market dead? I can see lots of "jobs", but not sure if they are real, or recruiters fishing for CV's. Thanks for any responses.

If you have a look in the business section there is a 39 page thread already running on this. In a nutshell it's pants. For the detail have a look at that thread.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'd have said for a SQL Server DBA outside London it isn't too bad. Rates are nothing special though. As someone who has been permie for 15 years and Christmas coming it may be tough unless your head's in the Cloud or you are into BI with columnstore, Power BI, R, U-SQL etc.
      Last edited by BigRed; 11 October 2016, 20:07.

Comment

Cheers both. I missed the thread that was referred to. Will have a read. Best go permie then! And learn some new skills.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyRoadie View Post
          Cheers both. I missed the thread that was referred to. Will have a read. Best go permie then! And learn some new skills.
          If you being made redundant then take your redundancy money and see where you end up.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
          X