• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hi! Question from non-UK resident working for a UK company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Until recently, I worked for a UK company remotely, from Switzerland. It's not EU, but that doesn't make too much difference.

1. Are there any specific steps that need to be taken to allow me to work as a contractor for the same company, which hired me previously as an employee?

No.

2. Does the company need to prepare anything from the legal/tax point of view to be possible to hire foreign contractors apart from making sure that they have an EU VAT number?

No.

3. ... I still need to worry about IR35 as a foreign resident with no formal business in the UK? HMRC website is not 100% clear about that.

No.

4. Is there anything else we should know about or consider before and after doing the switch?

No.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      HMRC won't care as all your taxes should be paid in Poland anyway.
      Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      3. ... I still need to worry about IR35 as a foreign resident with no formal business in the UK? HMRC website is not 100% clear about that.

No.
      Thank you, guys, that sounds promissing Do I understand correctly that my non-UK resident status allows me to ignore IR35 completely? What I'm most concerned about IR35 is the Termination clause. Will it be perfectly fine to state in the contract that the services will continue until the contract is terminated by either party or is it still necessary to say that this contract is for a specific project? I would prefer to avoid the need to sign a new contract every few months and all the hassle of handling "projects" on the company side.

Comment

Originally posted by witmann View Post
        ...Do I understand correctly that my non-UK resident status allows me to ignore IR35 completely?...
        Yes.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
        X