• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

new to the forums and contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to the forums and contracting

Hi,

Thought I'd say hi, been reading bits and bobs on these forums for a few days. I'm currently a permie and have been my whole working life. These days my circumstances dictate that I work from home as much as possible, plus I'd like to work on a wider variety of projects.... so I'm looking at contracting/freelance work. Truth be known its been a pie in the sky idea for me over the last 15 years, I've just not had the guts or the pressure to make it happen.

Got all the usual same old decisions to make at this point and jobs to get done:

My own Ltd company or umbrella (Which is complicated by the fact I'm still serving the last year of an IVA).
    Working on re-mastering my CV so its more suitable for contract roles.
    Networking.
    Finding the best places to look for work that suits my needs.
    IR35
    IR35
    IR35
    Plus I'm still due to read up on changes to IR35 and dividends next year.

Sheesh... anyway, hi all

Welcome to CUK stryker007
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Welcome!!

Originally posted by stryker007 View Post
      Hi,

Thought I'd say hi, been reading bits and bobs on these forums for a few days. I'm currently a permie and have been my whole working life. These days my circumstances dictate that I work from home as much as possible, plus I'd like to work on a wider variety of projects.... so I'm looking at contracting/freelance work. Truth be known its been a pie in the sky idea for me over the last 15 years, I've just not had the guts or the pressure to make it happen.

Got all the usual same old decisions to make at this point and jobs to get done:

My own Ltd company or umbrella (Which is complicated by the fact I'm still serving the last year of an IVA).
      Networking.
      IR35
      IR35
      IR35

Sheesh... anyway, hi all
      Best places to look for work as in jobserve or best places as in your local area and not too far away?

The second bold point might answer all your questions. At least you won't have to worry about the three points above it....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the tips....

I appreciate I'll likely be taking work that's either close to home or with a limited couple of days working from home, I have realistic expectations.

Considering I've used the various agency sites for so many years its never occurred to me how none of them have much in the way of filtering based on working from home. Perhaps I've not developed the right mindset for looking in the right places yet, hence my mention of freelance in my OP, at least in those circles there seems to be more distinction for working from home.

I have 15 years of commercial experience primarily with Linux, Networks and LAMP, javascript, jquery.... the usual suspects. All I want is the ability to work a little more on my own terms.

Comment

Originally posted by stryker007 View Post
          Hi,

Networking.
          IR35
          IR35
          IR35

Sheesh... anyway, hi all
          WFH is never easy to get, esp. as a noob.....

Comment

Working...
          X