• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

new to contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to contracting

Hello. I am currently in a full time position and would like to contract as a php developer, i am resigning in end of october 2015. is there a demand for this and would I be successfull in getting contracts easily. I have 4+ years commercial experiance in zend/yii wordpress web based developement, project management etc. based in london?

Unfortunately you have given us so little information here you'd have been better asking how long is a piece of string but I'll have a stab.

First and foremost you are going to have to do your own research here. Everything we tell you will be based on almost guesswork so hardly worth the words on the page. For the demand you need to look around at the resource sites like jobserve or have a look at itjobswatch for historic information. You also have to be extremely pragmatic. You can't include jobs you 'think' you might be able to do. You have to fit the profile exactly. Clients want specilists that can hit the ground running and deliver from day one. Anything they ask for that is not on your CV will result in a fail. Also don't get carried away with the rates. 4 years is not a lot. There will be guys with 10 years plus experience contracting, maybe not in the exact skills if the packages didn't exist but similar out there so you are the back of the queue. You are also new which is a disadvantage. I don't think you are going to be looking at great rates with that experience.

Will you be successful getting contracts? Who knows. You might have a severe case of Tourettes under pressure in interviews in which case I'd say no. I would say unless you aim very low your lack of experience and being new is going to be a problem. A big mistake newbies make is applying for gigs they are not cut out for as I mentioned above.

You also have to do research in to how we work and the pitfalls. Can you afford not to get work for 2 to 3 months. It's not uncommon to be out for periods this long at anytime, let alone being a newbie. You get yourself a low rate gig for 3 months, is that enough to cover you for the next period out of work.

You have to research how we manage our companies. Are you going to go brolly or straight down the LTD route, makes a big impact in your take home and could mean contracting isn't for you.

You have to research the crap that's hit us recently. Contracting could be a very different beast and just a lifestyle choice and not the big earner it used to be this time next year.

Look at all the legislation around us as well. IR35, 24 month rules, insurances and much much more. The guides on the right should be read from top to tail.

Rest of it is up to you. You are not going to get any nice fluffy yes answers on this forum I am afraid.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shorif2000 View Post
      Hello. I am currently in a full time position and would like to contract as a php developer, i am resigning in end of october 2015. is there a demand for this and would I be successfull in getting contracts easily. I have 4+ years commercial experiance in zend/yii wordpress web based developement, project management etc. based in london?
      Do a search on the main websites; Monster, jobserver, jobnet etc.

Comment

Depends if you're any good but theres over 100 PHP contracts on jobserve, thus if you are capable, you should be fine.

Do you happen to be working in Surrey at the moment?
        Last edited by fool; 15 August 2015, 17:59.

Comment

Working...
        X