• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the current IT Contractor situation in UK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the current IT Contractor situation in UK?

Currently I'm searching for a new job in London, after three successful perm interviews I have refused all of them because I didn't like the role or the company.
    I'm getting a bit fed up of perm jobs that they promise you interesting projects and after a while or after finish the project, they want me to do support of messy systems.

One friend recommend me to go into CT.
    I think that as a contractor, companies will hire me to work in a new project or to do improvements in current projects, just development instead of doing daily maintenance of the systems.
    If at least I do maintenance then... OK, I will be happy with the money for the next 3/6 months and then bye bye.

I made the mistake of getting advice from one of my recruitment agents. He told me that is not a good a idea to go into CT now, because my notice period is high (this is true), the market is dead, all the contracts are for 3/6 months and the companies are finishing earlier, and the government is going to made some changes in the law that will affect the contractors. Of course, he wanted me to get one of the offered perm jobs.

I'm prepare to take the decision of leaving my job and during the notice period start to search a contract, because nobody is going to hire me with almost 1 month and half notice period. At the moment, I have savings to survive for 3 or 4 months without working.

But, before jump in, I would like to know, from point of view of experienced contractors (you!) what is the current situation of IT contractors market.

My professional experience is more than 6 years in .NET delivering quite interesting projects for big companies using always the last technologies. No experience in banking.

What do you think? It's a hard market at the moment? It's the IT contractors market dying?

Also, How difficult could be to get a job with my experience and a rate of 300p/d?

Working...
X