• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not sure what to do next...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure what to do next...

Hi all,

So, I have previously been a contractor through an umbrella company. I was a Programme Support Officer in the public sector back in 2010 for a year. After this, I went permie.

Looking to go back into the contracting world but not sure what my next steps should be. Since the above role I have been firmly in a Bid Manager position. I started in a healthcare IT company and then moved with this job role across an FM company and an IT security company. I am now back in IT healthcare as a Senior Bid Manager.

My predicament. I would like to progress in the field of bid management as a contractor OR as programme support > programme managment.

Shall I take the bid management accreditation (Shipleys/APMP) or PRINCE2 or both? Looking for a bit of guidance and any help would be appreciated!

Me neither.....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What do YOU want to do? What is your passion?

Alternativelt, out of your possibilities, which makes the most money?

Only you can say what your primary drivers are.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

My two penneth worth, from what you have said you have had 5 roles in 5 years, 4 permie, this does not bode well for anyone who wants to be taken seriously as a contractor. Contractors are supposed to be war hardened experts in their fields, and it is very hard to develop as a contractor up the food chain (especially in PMO > Project Manager > Programme Manager) as the field is already full of seasoned contractors.

By the sounds of it you hae RIP (Reskilled In Permie) which is a solid approach, but as you are still thinking about PMO etc is that where your heart really is? If so don't start contracting as a Bid Manager if you're not gonna enjoy it.

Long story short, if you don't know what you want, stay where you are until you do
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          What do YOU want to do? What is your passion?
          Some very good podcasts on this site - even though it's aimed at permies, there's a lot that applies.

https://www.manager-tools.com/2015/0...passion-part-1

https://www.manager-tools.com/2015/0...passion-part-2

Comment

I do know that I want to go contracting. I am asking about the next steps as both professional courses are interchangeable. I didn't know if anyone had been in this predicament or was a bid management contractor and could assist.

I appreciate I have held a few permie roles. However, this has been down to personal circumstances. I became a carer overnight and had to look at my job situation seriously and consider what would be best for the situation I was in.

This situation is now no longer the case, therefore I would like to get back onto the track of what I would like to do. This is contracting in either public sector procurement or programme support.

Comment

Working...
            X