• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie > Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Lol and your telephone number and daily rate expectations?
    SueEllen leaves her documents in telephone boxes ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by DanielSQL View Post
      Hello All, Names Daniel. Not DanielSQL... Just Daniel. Another member thought it would be funny to register to this forum using my name. Not impressed
      I had a similar ex[erience trying to register the user name "Bell End".

The solutions just about work, the coding/ scripts aren't very clear and the methods used are questionable.

Do you produce and leave documentation behind for your clients?
      Are you sure it wasn't written offshore?
      In fact, it was probably written by someone on here

Yep, plenty of cr@p contractors around these days, always a challenge to find anyone really decent.

If you fancy a, suitably, expensive resource to fix your code, please feel free to pm me.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Ha

I'm the poor fellow tasked with cleaning up their work.

Anyways, back on topic.

I'm not prepared to give up my perm job just yet. However I am considering doing some freelance work on the side/ in my free time.

Had any of you done this before making the jump?
        I've never worked for a company that allowed work on the side without so many strings attached it would still have been worth doing. First things first ask your HR department if it's even allowed under your Ts&Cs.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
          I've never worked for a company that allowed work on the side without so many strings attached it would still have been worth doing. First things first ask your HR department if it's even allowed under your Ts&Cs.
          By free time I mean over the weekends and during days off. Surely what I do during that time is none of their concern?

Comment

By free time I mean over the weekends and during days off. Surely what I do during that time is none of their concern?
            Errrm, I would read up on Intellectual Property, if I were you.
            What does your contract say?
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              I had a similar ex[erience trying to register the user name "Bell End".

Are you sure it wasn't written offshore?
              In fact, it was probably written by someone on here

Yep, plenty of cr@p contractors around these days, always a challenge to find anyone really decent.

If you fancy a, suitably, expensive resource to fix your code, please feel free to pm me.
              Ha

Thanks for the offer. I'm doing just fine sorting out myself. Just amazes me that my employer paid (no doubt a considerable amount) to have that work done.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Errrm, I would read up on Intellectual Property, if I were you.
                What does your contract say?
                Will review over the weekend.

Comment

Ha

Thanks for the offer. I'm doing just fine sorting out myself. Just amazes me that my employer paid (no doubt a considerable amount) to have that work done.
                  As I said, earlier, contracting has become diluted, you see plenty of bed wetting muppets, on here, that would be better off perm.

When you mess it up give me a shout, I will then outsource your work to TATA, in Bangalore.
                  Then you will see what truly terrible "codes" looks like.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Like Mr. Wahlberg said, IP may be a concern since you're a coder: clauses staying all work you create is theirs, etc. but also you might have clauses that indicate you can't work directly with anyone your company does business with. Lockheed Martin is very concerned about people doing things that gets them in legal trouble so a blanket ban is easier than trying to police everyone's extra-curricular activities.

It may seem none of their concern, but there are legitimate reasons they may be concerned - better not to lose your job prematurely because you fall afoul of them.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                      Like Mr. Wahlberg said.
                      Amusing, although at least we share a certain big something, rather than being one
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X