• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie > Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We all use different agencies. Whoever gets you the job, you go with them. Try jobserve and cwjobs search sites where most agencies advertise.

I didn't have a war chest behind me when I started. So I didn't want to pack my permie job until I had my first contract to go to. I looked for 4 or 5 months before finding one who were prepared to wait a month while I handed my notice in.

Never looked back since.

Comment

Started another perm job a few months back. And recently I've come across some work that had been put together by a contractor a few years back. Now after reviewing the work I could help but question whether this person was actually paid to do this work.

The solutions just about work, the coding/ scripts aren't very clear and the methods used are questionable.

Do you produce and leave documentation behind for your clients?

Comment

Originally posted by DanielSQL View Post
        Started another perm job a few months back. And recently I've come across some work that had been put together by a contractor a few years back. Now after reviewing the work I could help but question whether this person was actually paid to do this work.

The solutions just about work, the coding/ scripts aren't very clear and the methods used are questionable.

You're assuming a lot. The cost and quality of the contractor for starters! Then whether they were asked to document what they did or not.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Just because they are a contractor you can't assume they are any good am afraid. There are some right cock wombles out there that think they are contracting but are just going from one car crash to another just because they can interview well. Sadly there isn't a mechanism for identifying poor contractors out there yet.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's just annoying as I'm having to re do a lot of the stuff he or she done. Simply because what was put together isn't exactly clear.

Anyways let's hope I can get my butt in gear soon and land my first contract soon. Make the world a better place and all that...

Comment

It's just annoying as I'm having to re do a lot of the stuff he or she done. Simply because what was put together isn't exactly clear..
              Yep I get that but feel sorry for the poor contractor that has to follow people like this in and get a hard time because of their predecessors mess.

Comment

No-one reads manuals or documentation.

There was a couple of times when I started when I looked at code I could not understand it. And I had written it 6 months earlier!

So now I try to add comments that would help a complete idiot(me) understand it in 6 months time.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Yep I get that but feel sorry for the poor contractor that has to follow people like this in and get a hard time because of their predecessors mess.
                  Ha

I'm the poor fellow tasked with cleaning up their work.

Anyways, back on topic.

I'm not prepared to give up my perm job just yet. However I am considering doing some freelance work on the side/ in my free time.

Had any of you done this before making the jump?

Comment

All my documentation says somewhere if you reading this in a few years time start again.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      All my documentation says somewhere if you reading this in a few years time start again.
                      Lol and your telephone number and daily rate expectations?

Comment

Working...
                      X