• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work from home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work from home

Hi guys,

Had a final telephone interview with a company yesterday for a 3 month gig.

I asked how flexible the arrangement could be and expressed once in and understand requirements etc.. Then you can do a day or two from home.

My question do I need this to be put into the contract ? My contract will be for 3 months and my thinking here is if at 3 months I don't have that arrangement I won't renew ?
    Any advice from some of you seasoned contractors ?

Your contract probably doesn't have a workplace specified - this is good, from a direction and control perspective (if not a 'answering the question at hand' perspective). Check it though.

Feel the water, but if you're feeling brave, a 'tell not ask' approach might be best.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Are you really willing to turn down contracts just because you can't work from home? If you can handle a bit of flexibility that is on an ad-hoc agreement that might get pulled then sort it with line manager.

If it's a deal breaker then get them to put it in the contract.

Flexibility is more often a bonus and also has to be earned and not assumed to be a given.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 23 May 2015, 14:07.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I turn down contacts where I can't work from home every week. It's part of my conditions, even though I prefer to work from client's premises, I want the option.
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Do you aim for full remote working or part remote working ?

Comment

Part remote. I just want to have the option to do so should I feel the need?
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by eddie1507 View Post

My question do I need this to be put into the contract ? My contract will be for 3 months and my thinking here is if at 3 months I don't have that arrangement I won't renew ?
              Any advice from some of you seasoned contractors ?
              Always get all possible workplaces specified in the contract.

So get the client's full address in it, get working from your offices mentioned in it and any other location you may/may not think is appropriate to work from. For example some of my clients have external third parties I have to work with who are basically down the road from where I live so I'm not going to charge the client for going there.

Also that way if the client decides randomly that you should work in outer Mongolia they have to pay your expenses.

In regards to being able to work at home consistently - once you get the alternative workplaces listed in the contract see how the land lies once you are on the client site.

You may find that actually it's possible to work from home 80% of the time or in fact due to the nature of the project you only want to work from home when you have to actually be at home to wait in for a delivery, do building work, etc.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                ...Flexibility is more often a bonus and also has to be earned and not assumed to be a given.
                That works both ways - not just to the client's advantage.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If they said you can do it, just do it, if they renege on the verbal contract then walk.

Comment

I had a nine-monther with 1 -2 days WHF, didn't get the VPN RSA thing until eight days before I finished!

Comment

Working...
                    X