• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sole trader and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sole trader and IR35

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to contracting but am still very unclear on the rules governing how long you can work for a company as a contractor: my basic understanding is it all relates to exactly how a contractor works with their client, so I thought I'd spell out mine.

I originally cold called a company and sold my services in to them.
    I am a sole trader, do not use a LTD company.
    My contract clearly states I'm an independent supplier of services to the organisation.
    I work for multiple different companies within the large organisation with multiple contracts, many verbal.
    I don't have a boss, am not part of a team, work across multiple sites including working from home.
    I choose when and where I work.

Does this mean I could work for this client indefinitely? I'd really appreciate any advice on this -

5I really dont want to be rude but have you done any research in to IR35 and your situation? Try links on the right hand side. The answer to your question should become very apparant after a couple of minutes reading.

By reading this and getting a basic understanding you should be able to answer any other questions you have on the basics of IR35.

Failing this you could try google. Not only will you find reams of IR35 information you will also find plenty of articles directly related to your situation....

A bit like this one for example....
    Can I beat IR35 by being a sole trader? CUK05 :: Contractor UK

HTH
    Last edited by northernladuk; 23 March 2015, 20:57.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ohh yeah... and unless you are a window cleaner or summat sack the verbal contracts and get it in writing. You are on slippery slope messing around like that.

Comment

And there are issues with being direct as a sole trader to consider as well... again google is your friend,,

Stuff like...
        Why contractors cannot trade as sole traders

Comment

Working...
        X