• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wants to move into contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wants to move into contracting

Hi All,

I have been in permanent employment for past 8 years and want to move in to contracting. I am a software developer on Microsoft stack (C#, WCF, Silvelight, WPF, EF, NHIBERNATE) and some SQL Server BI experience. Ideally want to do contracting in Finance. What I have observed is that there aren't a lot of contracts available. Am I right? I have a lot of friends doing contracting in telecoms and networks and all of them seems to find contracts quite easily. Is it true that telecoms/networks have more contract available. Any tips/suggestion to get me going would be appreciated.

Thanks

I think you just have to try and see how you get on. You only need one job to become available (and get it, obviously)
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by syeda View Post
      Hi All,

I have been in permanent employment for past 8 years and want to move in to contracting. I am a software developer on Microsoft stack (C#, WCF, Silvelight, WPF, EF, NHIBERNATE) and some SQL Server BI experience. Ideally want to do contracting in Finance. What I have observed is that there aren't a lot of contracts available. Am I right? I have a lot of friends doing contracting in telecoms and networks and all of them seems to find contracts quite easily. Is it true that telecoms/networks have more contract available. Any tips/suggestion to get me going would be appreciated.

Thanks
      That's because your friends are experienced contractors, a known resource to agents, and know how to search/network the market. It's isn't just about clicking on the 'apply' button.

Your skills seem to me to be ideal for offshoring so you'll be competing with a hell of a lot of cheap Indians so you might struggle to get a decent rate.

Also finance is hard to break into even as a contractor and especially as a noob.

Comment

Hello Syeda

I am in same situation and add to the fact i am in Scotland far away from contract land 'london' (Frown)
        been trying like crazy but landing not even for interviews (Mad)

Comment

Working...
        X