• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello, I'm desperately in need of help :(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, I'm desperately in need of help :(

Hello everyone,

When I started working in the UK I was offered a normal permanent contract which I agreed on. After a couple of months, the company started recruiting contractors that created their own limited companies and started earning their daily rates.
    As it turns out, we all work for the same final CLIENT, we come to work together every day, we perform the same duties (give or take a little responsibility or so for project management) and in the end I get paid (in NET amount) around 1/2 or 2/3 of what my fellow "colleagues" receive.
    Since then the company has only recruited contractors (over 50 of them as we speak) and remained with the same 2-3 permanent employees.
    When I talked to them about this injustice and how it demotivates me they said they would look into it and revise my contract. This happened 1.5 years ago. I also have IN MY CONTRACT that my salary should be revised annually, which it hasn't, as they kept postponing it.
    By the end of last year the manager finally told me that they wanted to analyze the liability of ending my permanent contract and me becoming a contractor doing work for them in other locations/projects. Of course I am aware of IR35 and I don't want to become a disguised employee so I am not sure if this option is the best for me, as I'll be putting myself on the line, losing all my "rights" as employee, for a 30% boost in salary.
    My questions are as follows:
    - I believe I am heavily underpaid in comparison with my colleagues and have lost at least 15k pounds over the last months. Should I demand compensation for this prejudice? (bonus or whatever else?)
    - I believe I should have rights and there must be a way to make them STOP playing around with delays and pseudo salary/contract revisions, what rights do I really have and how can I enforce them?
    - I believe my company is wrongly and unfairly recruiting all these contractors that are working as disguised employees for quite some time, should I inform HMRC about this?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

You'd get a better response if you reposted this in General.

Admin: Can we have a biting tongue emoticon?

Comment

Get a new job.

Comment

Isn't this one for Mumsnet?
        Join IPSE

Comment

I feel your pain gentlemen...

To the OP: welcome to CUK.

No, there is nothing you can do and no one to whom you can complain.

You are a permie with paid holidays and sick pay.

Get over it.

HTH.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

3 and then never seen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Panrico View Post
              - I believe I am heavily underpaid in comparison with my colleagues and have lost at least 15k pounds over the last months. Should I demand compensation for this prejudice? (bonus or whatever else?)
              Yes. Demand what is due to you, and you will get exactly what you deserve.

- I believe I should have rights and there must be a way to make them STOP playing around with delays and pseudo salary/contract revisions, what rights do I really have and how can I enforce them?
              You'll need to consult a lawyer. Asking for unqualified advice on a forum isn't the right way to go.

- I believe my company is wrongly and unfairly recruiting all these contractors that are working as disguised employees for quite some time, should I inform HMRC about this?
              Absolutely, yes. You'll need to know the name of the companies that the contractors run, but then give them a ring and let them know. The contractors may well be declaring themselves inside IR35, but if they aren't then you should inform HMRC.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
              X